γραφει τους λογους

Is vocalizing the Greek words and sentences important? If so, how should Greek be pronounced (what arguments can be made for one pronunciation over another or others?) How can I write Greek characters clearly and legibly?
Devenios Doulenios

Re: γραφει τους λογους

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

Augustine was a teacher of rhetoric by training, so one might expect that. However, since it is documented that the sermo vulgaris and its pronunciation is at least as ancient as the literary Latin accent, one could fairly call its style "classical". And I expect that the literary accent didn't get used with one's family and close friends, or slaves, or with clients/business associates. Just as today a politician might use one style in making a speech and another with intimates. But, having said all that, de gustibus non disputandum. Pax vosbicum omnes, ειρηνη υμιν παντες.
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

And even Augustine might have relaxed his speech a little away from the office. :lol:
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Scott Verreault

Post by Scott Verreault »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:54 am
However, Latin must always be pronounced using classical pronunciation, regardless of what certain forum members may think. You know who you are.
Question,

Wondering because technically languages evolve over time based on various influences. Therefore would it be correct to say that insisting on a static pronunciation is like burying your head in the sand?
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Harena Romana -- illud in memoria semper tene.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: March 27th, 2019, 10:06 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: March 25th, 2019, 8:54 am However, Latin must always be pronounced using classical pronunciation, regardless of what certain forum members may think. You know who you are.
I refuse to take the bait every time someone commends the heathen pronunciation of Latin.
C'mon - how do you sing the Ave Maria ????
I was taught the "weeny, weedy, and weaky" pronunciation, but I don't use it for music :-)
Shirley R.

Also, it has just come to mind (for those of use who go to liturgical-type English-speaking churches) - I regularly hear them refer to the "Tri-sagion" instead of tris-hagion
Shirley R.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

Stephen Carlson wrote: March 28th, 2019, 7:47 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: March 28th, 2019, 9:28 am
Stephen Carlson wrote: March 27th, 2019, 10:06 pm
I refuse to take the bait every time someone commends the heathen pronunciation of Latin.
Augustine used classical pronunciation. Don't ask me how I know. I just know. :shock: :roll:
Heresy!
I hereby excommunicate both of you (I've just been writing notes for my Church History students) :-) :-)

Return to “Alphabet and Pronunciation”