Koine majuscule letter stroke order, advice requested

Is vocalizing the Greek words and sentences important? If so, how should Greek be pronounced (what arguments can be made for one pronunciation over another or others?) How can I write Greek characters clearly and legibly?
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Koine majuscule letter stroke order, advice requested

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Yama Ploskonka wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:14 pm
As to your question, “original manuscripts?” You mean, autographa manuscripts by Peter, Paul, Luke, etc.? My personal guess, as of today, is that perhaps some of Paul’s letters were written in wax tablets, apparently that was somewhat standard for letters. See the paper by West that I link to in my original post for some titillating pictures of some characters, much smaller than I would have imagined. Definitely majuscule, or so I'd dare affirm.
I might posit with my usual excessive self confidence that the Gospel of Luke would have been from its original considered worthy of being written on a scroll, before cheaper codex copies were made. In sum, I concur with your guess.
It was actually common practice to make a rough draft on wax tablets, but the official letter would then be transcribed to more permanent material, usually papyrus. This was by scribes who really cared -- we have plenty of documentary papyri that looks like it was just one draft, and a few in which we have copies of different drafts.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “Alphabet and Pronunciation”