2nd Person Plural Pronouns

How can I best learn the paradigms of nouns and verbs and the other inflected parts of speech?
LearningGreek

2nd Person Plural Pronouns

Post by LearningGreek »

Hello,

In the paradigm for εἰμί Bill Mounce says that the second person plural means "you" but that it is a plural "you" equivalent to "thou or ya'll".

Is this the case for ὑμεις and ὑμας as well?
Stephen Carlson

Re: 2nd Person Plural Pronouns

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Second person plural is "y'all" in southern parts of the US (or "ye" in King James English).

First person plural is "we"/"us".
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

LearningGreek wrote: October 12th, 2021, 10:18 pm Hello,

In the paradigm for εἰμί Bill Mounce says that the second person plural means "you" but that it is a plural "you" equivalent to "thou or ya'll".

Just for the record, thou is second person singular subject, thee is the singular object form, thy/thine the possessive. The plural is ye, you, your/yours. Except for dialecticisms modern English has substituted you, your, yours for both the singular and the plural...

ὑμεῖς is nominative plural, ὑμᾶς accusative plural.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Shirley Rollinson

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

"thou" is second person nominative SINGULAR. ("thee" is accusative, "thy" is genitive)
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Stephen Carlson wrote: October 12th, 2021, 10:55 pm Second person plural is "y'all" in southern parts of the US (or "ye" in King James English).

First person plural is "we"/"us".
Shirley Rollinson wrote: October 14th, 2021, 7:50 pm

"thou" is second person nominative SINGULAR. ("thee" is accusative, "thy" is genitive)
I should probably add what I now recall from school growing up in Australia, "yous".

Thx
D
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Daniel Semler wrote: October 14th, 2021, 8:59 pm I should probably add what I now recall from school growing up in Australia, "yous".

Thx
D
Perhaps getting of topic, in certain parts of Baltimore and suburbs (such as Dundalk) one can frequently here "yous guys..." English just begs for the return of its second personl plural, but nobody officially will give it back. :)
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: October 15th, 2021, 10:27 am
Daniel Semler wrote: October 14th, 2021, 8:59 pm I should probably add what I now recall from school growing up in Australia, "yous".

Thx
D
Perhaps getting of topic, in certain parts of Baltimore and suburbs (such as Dundalk) one can frequently here "yous guys..." English just begs for the return of its second personl plural, but nobody officially will give it back. :)
You have gotta love language's utter disregard for what any officials think - it will develop and change if it's alive.

And yep, now well OT.

Thx
D

Return to “Learning Paradigms”