Accordance Bible Software

I don't understand what my textbook is saying about X. Can someone help me?
Terry Upton

Accordance Bible Software

Post by Terry Upton »

I am new to this forum, but have found it to be a good resource for information from some more experienced students of Koine Greek. I am taking Bill Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek and he recommends using Accordance Bible software as one follows along on his lessons, but I want to purchase the correct package. I am not opposed to investing money in a software package, but I don't want or need to spend money on something that I will never use. Hopefully someone is on this forum that may be able to answer this question.

Terry
Jonathan Robie

Re: Accordance Bible Software

Post by Jonathan Robie »

What do you want to use it for?

If you mostly want to be able to parse words and look them up in a dictionary, there are cheaper ways to go. But Accordance is lovely software, very useful.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Terry Upton

Post by Terry Upton »

I need to have the starter collection of Accordance, but I am getting it only because Bill Mounce uses it to parse and to do other things on his web cast presentations, and the course I am taking uses this software. I agree there are more economical means.

Terry
Stirling Bartholomew

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Terry Upton wrote:I need to have the starter collection of Accordance, but I am getting it only because Bill Mounce uses it to parse and to do other things on his web cast presentations, and the course I am taking uses this software. I agree there are more economical means.

Terry
Your question is a little bit ambiguous. You are taking a course (for credit?) which "requires" Accordance? If that is the case then the course syllabus should tell you what you need to purchase.
and the course I am taking uses this software

not clear here, if the course requires it or Bill Mounce recommends or both.

Accordance basic greek hebrew is probably what you want. If the exercises in the course are PERFORMED using Accordance you don't have any option, Right? I know some big famous seminaries use apps like Accordance, Bibleworks, Logos, in the class room and for assignments.

If you have questions about minimum configurations ask the people offering the course.

I have some opinions about Accordance, having used it since before it was released. But they are not relevant to this question. Students working on their own can get by very nicely with what is available at no cost on the web. For example the STEP bible at Tyndale House http://www.stepbible.org, a tagged SBLGNT http://morphgnt.org/sblgnt/matthew.html, dozens of other similar
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Textbooks”