Mt 1:19 AUTHN object or subject

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Jason Hare

Re: Mt 1:19 AUTHN objcet or subject

Post by Jason Hare »

Oun Kwon wrote:How about taking this as the subject of the infinitive PARADEIGMATISAI? In that case, it would make sense to see Joseph did not want to see her bring disgrace on her family.
Oun Kwon
Hi, Oun.

If you don't mind me asking, have you thought about what Carl Conrad suggested above?
cwconrad wrote:Oun, have you ever worked all the way through a first-year Greek textbook? ... If you haven't worked your way through a textbook, you should; if, on the other hand, you have, I think you might do well to go back through it again and review it.
Are you aware that there are groups forming for beginning Greek studies all the time on the GreekStudy list? We just finished going through the Athenaze (Ἀθήναζε) textbook a few weeks ago.

There are groups that study from Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (BBG) and other textbooks.

My plan is to progress into the second level of Athenaze and then to Reading Greek. Would you consider joining a beginners group? That would clear up so many issues for you and prepare you for enhanced sharing on this new forum.

Best regards,
Jason
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “What does this text mean?”