Syntax of Matthew 19:9

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
jjThomas

Syntax of Matthew 19:9

Post by jjThomas »

Can Matthew 19:9 be read, consistent with the record of Ancient Greek, "whoever would loose from the wife of his not upon fornication and [whoever] would marry another commits adultery"?
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Syntax of Matthew 19:9

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Just by way of reminder, we discuss the Greek on B-Greek, and don't normally discuss translations, except in so far as a translation may illustrate a particular understanding of the Greek. We also generally cite the Greek text if possible:

λέγω δὲ ὑμῖν ὅτι ὃς ἂν ἀπολύσῃ τὴν γυναῖκα αὐτοῦ μὴ ἐπὶ πορνείᾳ καὶ γαμήσῃ ἄλλην μοιχᾶται.

My answer, however, is no, since the first part of your translation makes little sense in English, and translations which make little or no sense are never right. Perhaps the question you should be asking is how the preposition ἐπί is being used in this context, and also the verb ἀπολύω.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
jjThomas

Post by jjThomas »

I would like to try to clarify what (at least for me) rather uncertain matter of syntax the hypothesised translation of Matt 19:9 raises. Were speakers uniformly required, in speaking felicitous (generally acceptable) Ancient Greek, and more specifically Koine, to set out the pronoun ὃς in each clause of a compound sentence of the form,

(1) "Whoever does X, and whoever does Y, is Z"?

Does Ancient Greek allow for ambiguity, in distinguishing (1) from

(2) "Whoever does X and does Y is Z"?
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

jjThomas wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 10:30 am I would like to try to clarify what (at least for me) rather uncertain matter of syntax the hypothesised translation of Matt 19:9 raises. Were speakers uniformly required, in speaking felicitous (generally acceptable) Ancient Greek, and more specifically Koine, to set out the pronoun ὃς in each clause of a compound sentence of the form,

(1) "Whoever does X, and whoever does Y, is Z"?

Does Ancient Greek allow for ambiguity, in distinguishing (1) from

(2) "Whoever does X and does Y is Z"?
Did you you have a question about Greek syntax? Your translation seems to entirely ignore the syntax of the sentence, and does not attempt to build equivalent syntax in English. It looks more like an interlinear than an actual translation.

Could you please quote the Greek phrases you are particularly interested in and ask questions about syntax using syntactic terms? I cannot tell, from your post, whether you know anything about Greek or language or not. We need to start from a more informed question.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I think he just wants to know if the subjects of the two subjunctives are co-referential.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “What does this text mean?”