The exact time of "meta"

How do I work out the meaning of a Greek text? How can I best understand the forms and vocabulary in this particular text?
Forum rules
This is a beginner's forum - see the Koine Greek forum for more advanced discussion of Greek texts. Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up.

When answering questions in this forum, keep it simple, and aim your responses to the level of the person asking the question.
Nathaniel

The exact time of "meta"

Post by Nathaniel »

Luke 1:24 uses the phrase μετά δε ταύτας τας ημέρας, which means "and after those days," but I need to know how soon "meta" is? Is it synonymous with "shortly after," "some time after," "immediately after," or is the word completely devoid of timing? Strong' Concordance doesn't help me narrow down the 'soonness' of the 'after,' and that nuance or implication is important to understand the word and its phrase.

Is there another word that would have been used for "immediately after?"
Philip Arend

Re: The exact time of "meta"

Post by Philip Arend »

It appears that μετὰ ταῦτα is a general marker for the next relevant event to an author's discourse. The NT uses a a number words for immediately, which should be keyed to your Strongs. for example: εὐθέως, ἐξαυτῆς, παραχρῆμα etc

The following is from Brill's entry on μετὰ:

after, of time OD. 22.352 HOM. 4.326, al. etc.; μετὰ ταῦτα or τοῦτο after this, then, subsequently HDT. 1.50.1, al. etc.; μετʼ εὐχάν after the prayer AESCHL. Ag. 231; μετὰ τὰ Τρωικά after the Trojan war THUC. 2.68.3; κατὰ τὰς … μετὰ τὸν Μῆδον σπονδάς according to the terms agreed upon after the Persian war THUC. 3.68.1; τὸ μετὰ ταῦτα that which follows PLAT. Phil. 34c, al.; οἱ μετʼ ἐμέ those who come after me VT Wis. 8:13; μετὰ δὲ τὴν ταφήν after the funeral ceremony ACH. 1.15.1 | with ptc.: μετὰ Πάτροκλον θανόντα after the death of Patroklos IL. 24.575; μετὰ Σόλωνα οἰχόμενον after Solon’s departure HDT. 1.34.1 | with temp. determinations: μεθʼ ἡμέραν by day (proper. when the day is out) EUR. Or. 58 PLAT. Phaedr. 251e; μετὰ νύκτας by night PIND. N. 6.6; οὐ νυκτὸς ἀλλὰ μετʼ ἡμέρην not by night but in broad daylight HDT. 2.150.4; νύκτωρ ἢ μεθʼ ἡμέραν at night or by day EUR. Bac. 485; μετὰ τὸν ἐνιαυτόν after the year was out THUC. 1.138.2; μετὰ οὐ πολλὸν χρόνον not long afterward HDT. 1.60.1; μετὰ τοῦτον τὸν χρόνον after this period of time PLAT. Rp. 537b; μετʼ ὀλίγον ὕστερον a little later PLAT. Leg. 646c; βαπτισθήσεσθε οὐ μετὰ πολλὰς ταύτας ἡμέρας you will be baptized not many days from now NT Acts 1:5; μετὰ ἡμέρας τρεῖς three days later DIOSC.2 2.19; μετὰ δὲ ἔτη δύο two years later IOS. B.I. 1.13.1 (248) | in the calendar: μετʼ εἰκάδα(ς) after the twentieth day of the month MEN. fr. 225.3 IG 22.890.3 (IIBCE): δευτέρα μετʼ εἰκάδας the 22nd of the month, ἑβδόμη μετʼ εἰκάδας the 27th of the month, etc. elis. μετ ’ and μετ-, bef. a rough breathing μεθ ’ and μεθ- ‖ s.times postpositive in anastrophe μέτα | poet. as prevb. frequently in tmesis ‖ Aeol. Dor. also πεδά (q.v.).

Franco Montanari, ed. Madeleine Goh and Chad Schroeder, The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek (Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2015).

Return to “What does this text mean?”