Beginning Greek Video Lectures on the Web

Wayne Kirk

Beginning Greek Video Lectures on the Web

Post by Wayne Kirk »

For those who are just beginning their study of Greek and especially those using David Black's primer, there is a web site that you might find useful. The link is http://thebible.net/video/greek/. It consists of 35 prerecorded lectures on NT Greek and appears to walk through Black's text. I don't know the gentleman conducting the training, but his name is John Moore. The first video states that the material is freely available for non-commercial use.

I watched a couple minutes for a few lectures and found them to be sound. That's not an endorsement of the entire series, but from what I saw, I think it could be helpful for a self-learner.
Peter Streitenberger

Re: Beginning Greek Video Lectures on the Web

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Wayne,
thank you for this link ! I just tested the lesson on participles and it seems to be sound, but I can't find the video on the 2nd declension - is it missing?
Yours
Peter
Wayne Kirk

Post by Wayne Kirk »

Peter,

I only spent a few minutes browsing the videos. I also located similar lectures by Bill Mounce over his text at http://www.teknia.com/newtestamentgreek1.
Peter Streitenberger

Post by Peter Streitenberger »

Dear Wayne,
hurra, that's a terrific site - I know Bill Mounce and what he teaches is beneficial. Thank you for this link.
Yours
Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

If people are going to use this site, then some qualifications are probably useful.
1. Aim at better control of accents than in the occasional readings. At the end of clip#2 John 1.1-5 was read outloud with four mis-accented words geGAnen γέγονεν, ANthropon ἀνθρώπων, AWta αὐτὸ, katelaBEN κατέλαβεν.
2. As seen in the words above, this site uses a blatant ο=α convention, so that one will hear very distinctly TAN theAN (acc. 'the goddess', doric) for TON theON (acc. 'the God'). To teachers: we need to be careful how we use the newish mass media tools for the next generation.
3. Listening to clip #20 it becomes clear that the time invested is in listening to English, not Greek. From a 'second language acquistion' perspective, it is not making use of the media for meaningful communication in Greek or developing internalization. Something else will be needed for that.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

RandallButh wrote:Listening to clip #20 it becomes clear that the time invested is in listening to English, not Greek. From a 'second language acquistion' perspective, it is not making use of the media for meaningful communication in Greek or developing internalization. Something else will be needed for that.
I would love to see online instructional videos that use a Living Languages approach.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
RandallButh

Post by RandallButh »

Me too, but who's going to pay for it? The work and investment is massive and far beyond what many may imagine who just paraphrase English-talk about a language.

Return to “Other”