In 1 Corinthians 12:3, why is κύριος Ἰησοῦς usually rendered "Jesus is Lord"?

Bill Ross

In 1 Corinthians 12:3, why is κύριος Ἰησοῦς usually rendered "Jesus is Lord"?

Post by Bill Ross »

[1Co 12:3 MGNT] (3) διὸ γνωρίζω ὑμῖν ὅτι οὐδεὶς ἐν πνεύματι θεοῦ λαλῶν λέγει ἀνάθεμα Ἰησοῦς καὶ οὐδεὶς δύναται εἰπεῖν κύριος Ἰησοῦς εἰ μὴ ἐν πνεύματι ἁγίῳ

Wouldn't Darby's translation be more accurate than "Jesus is Lord"?:

[1Co 12:3 DBY] (3) I give you therefore to know, that no one, speaking in the power of the Spirit of God, says, Curse on Jesus; and no one can say, Lord Jesus, unless in the power of the Holy Spirit.
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.
Barry Hofstetter

Re: In 1 Corinthians 12:3, why is κύριος Ἰησοῦς usually rendered "Jesus is Lord"?

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Simply because it would be normal Greek to supply ἐστί with both phrases.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Bill Ross

Re: In 1 Corinthians 12:3, why is κύριος Ἰησοῦς usually rendered "Jesus is Lord"?

Post by Bill Ross »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: January 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm Simply because it would be normal Greek to supply ἐστί with both phrases.
Thanks, Barry. I was more confused by the word order. Does this suggest emphasis or something?
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Bill Ross wrote: January 28th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: January 28th, 2020, 2:19 pm Simply because it would be normal Greek to supply ἐστί with both phrases.
Thanks, Barry. I was more confused by the word order. Does this suggest emphasis or something?
Could you be more specific? I don't see anything unusual about the word order.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:55 pm
Bill Ross wrote: January 28th, 2020, 3:05 pm
Could you be more specific? I don't see anything unusual about the word order.
Well then no worries. Peace.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Barry Hofstetter wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:55 pm Could you be more specific? I don't see anything unusual about the word order.
Well, "choice implies meaning" and all that... why it's κύριος Ἰησοῦς and not Ἰησοῦς κύριος?

I would say Ἰησοῦς is topic, κύριος is focus which is fronted for "emphasis". (Compare with ἀνάθεμα Ἰησοῦς.)

In English it would be "Jesus is curse[d]!" vs. "Jesus is Lord!"
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: January 28th, 2020, 6:47 pm
Barry Hofstetter wrote: January 28th, 2020, 5:55 pm Could you be more specific? I don't see anything unusual about the word order.
Well, "choice implies meaning" and all that... why it's κύριος Ἰησοῦς and not Ἰησοῦς κύριος?

I would say Ἰησοῦς is topic, κύριος is focus which is fronted for "emphasis". (Compare with ἀνάθεμα Ἰησοῦς.)

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: January 28th, 2020, 6:47 pm Well, "choice implies meaning" and all that... why it's κύριος Ἰησοῦς and not Ἰησοῦς κύριος?

I think that's right, and to answer Ross's question, it is this contrast with ἀνάθεμα Ἰησοῦς that favors interpreting κύριος Ἰησοῦς as a complete predication.

Other reasons why "Lord Jesus" is not the best translation are that (1) the English looks like a direct address, but that really should be κύριε Ἰησοῦ in the vocative; (2) if it is really nominative, it is a subject without a predicate. Granted, neither of these are fatal objections on their own, but, coupled with the failure to fit the context as well as the alternative, there is nothing to commend "Lord Jesus" as a translation.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Eeli Kaikkonen

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Compare also with the famous καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος in John 1:1.
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: January 29th, 2020, 3:54 am Compare also with the famous καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος in John 1:1.
That appears to have some overlap but is, I think, distinct, but I can only opine.

This is a contrast:

2 Cor 4:5 οὐ γὰρ ἑαυτοὺς κηρύσσομεν ἀλλὰ Ἰησοῦν Χριστὸν κύριον ἑαυτοὺς δὲ δούλους ὑμῶν διὰ Ἰησοῦν

But this is very similar:

Phil 2:11 καὶ πᾶσα γλῶσσα ἐξομολογήσηται ὅτι κύριος Ἰησοῦς Χριστὸς εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ πατρός

Return to “Other”