In Acts 5:3, what is the function of σε?

Bill Ross

Re: In Acts 5:3, what is the function of σε?

Post by Bill Ross »

That "Lowfat" looks like a nifty tool. Thanks for the useful list. I'll have a look.

As far as grammars go, I lost my entire library in a fire of sorts some years ago and now rely on the internet.

Off topic for this site but an interesting discovery I've made about Acts 5 is the clear parallel with 1 Kings 14:

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nlt/1ki/14/6/s_305006

And LXX Deuteronomy 33:29:

https://biblehub.com/deuteronomy/33-29.htm

Thanks again!
What I lack in youth I make up for in immaturity.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

Bill Ross wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm As far as grammars go, I lost my entire library in a fire of sorts some years ago and now rely on the internet.
I think you will need a good grammar. Increasingly, I am using Kindle editions instead of or in addition to my paper books, which provide better insulation for the walls.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Jonathan Robie wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Bill Ross wrote: May 13th, 2020, 2:48 pm As far as grammars go, I lost my entire library in a fire of sorts some years ago and now rely on the internet.
I think you will need a good grammar. Increasingly, I am using Kindle editions instead of or in addition to my paper books, which provide better insulation for the walls.
I use nearly all electronic references as well. It's just a lot easier to carry around a phone or a computer than a shopping cart full of the LSJ, BDAG, L&N, Smyth, BDF, oh and for Latin the OLD and L&S, well, you get the idea!

Bill, let me also suggest spending some good systematic time in a beginning grammar better to understand basic concepts and build a solid foundation for moving forward. People on this list will be more than glad to help you. Now this is usually where Shirley pipes in about her materials, which are quite helpful, so a shout out to her before she gets a chance!
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

I often find myself using the Cambridge Grammar of Classical Greek instead of Smyth these days. I often find myself using Siebenthal instead of A.T. Robertson these days. They are easier to read, with great examples. Siebenthal is in German, but it is being translated, I hope the translation is good.

Rijksbaron's Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek is the best overall overview I have seen.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
nathaniel j. erickson

Post by nathaniel j. erickson »

Siebenthal is in German, but it is being translated, I hope the translation is good.
The translation is finished. Here is the English version: https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Greek-Gr ... 1789975867. According to the preface, it is basically a slightly-edited and slightly-expanded (primarily with regard to issues of text-coherence) version of the German work. I haven't seen it yet, but really hope to get it soon.
Nathaniel J. Erickson
NT PhD candidate, ABD
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
ntgreeketal.com
ὅπου πλείων κόπος, πολὺ κέρδος
ΠΡΟΣ ΠΟΛΥΚΑΡΠΟΝ ΙΓΝΑΤΙΟΣ
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

I am currently having a look at Siebenthal at Amazon and it appears that the lion's share of the print edition is available in their "Look inside!" preview feature so, having the milk I probably won't buy the $67.95 cow, but I am now much better equipped. Thanks for pointing me to the resource.

May I ask one more question about Acts 5:3? Is σε pleonastic? Is the fact that it is postpositive significant or is it perhaps to avoid an unpalatable proximity to σου? For some reason it irks me!

Thanks.
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Is it perhaps emphatic, along the lines of: "Ananias, how were YOU enticed by the enemy to deceive the holy breath [within the apostles] and conceal part of the land?" IE: "YOU should know better!"
Barry Hofstetter

Jonathan Robie wrote: May 14th, 2020, 8:57 am I often find myself using the Cambridge Grammar of Classical Greek instead of Smyth these days. I often find myself using Siebenthal instead of A.T. Robertson these days. They are easier to read, with great examples. Siebenthal is in German, but it is being translated, I hope the translation is good.

Rijksbaron's Syntax and Semantics of the Verb in Classical Greek is the best overall overview I have seen.
I have CGCG, but only have spot checked it from time to time. My suggestion so far is don't get rid of Smyth, but use them in tandem. Somebody tapped me to do a review of English Seibenthal for their journal and ordered me a review copy, but who knows when I'll get it?
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Barry Hofstetter

Bill Ross wrote: May 14th, 2020, 10:52 am Is it perhaps emphatic, along the lines of: "Ananias, how were YOU enticed by the enemy to deceive the holy breath [within the apostles] and conceal part of the land?" IE: "YOU should know better!"
Bill, it's certainly not pleonastic, it's normal syntax to express the subject of the infinitive when it's different from subject of the main verb. As for emphatic, I think the placement of ψεύσασθαι is what's emphatic, giving the fact of lying some stress.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Bill Ross

Post by Bill Ross »

Thank you Jeffrey, that makes more contextual sense, I think, and puts my concerns to rest.

Return to “Other”