DeSilva's take on βιάζεται?

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Philip Arellond

DeSilva's take on βιάζεται?

Post by Philip Arellond »

Matt. 11:12 ἀπὸ δὲ τῶν ἡμερῶν Ἰωάνου τοῦ βαπτιστοῦ ἕως ἄρτι ἡ βασιλεία τῶν οὐρανῶν βιάζεται, καὶ βιασταὶ ἁρπάζουσιν αὐτήν.

Moises DeSilva's updated the Dictionary of NT Theology, adding an Exegetical component to the older volume has been released. I don't have access to a library with the revision, but wondered if anyone knows what his understanding of βιάζεται in the above Matthew quote is, in particular whether he feels it is a middle or passive and what Jesus is saying about the particular aspect of the kingdom he is discussing.

Thanks for any help you may offer.

Philip
Stephen Hughes

Re: DeSilva's take on βιάζεται?

Post by Stephen Hughes »

I realise that you are asking a specific question here in this thread, but anyway, let me add this as a side note.
Acts 16:15 wrote:ὡς δὲ ἐβαπτίσθη καὶ ὁ οἶκος αὐτῆς, παρεκάλεσεν λέγουσα· Εἰ κεκρίκατέ με πιστὴν τῷ κυρίῳ εἶναι, εἰσελθόντες εἰς τὸν οἶκόν μου μείνετε· καὶ παρεβιάσατο ἡμᾶς.
I think that is something like "and she wouldn't take "No" for an answer." It is in the positive context of παρεκάλεσεν λέγουσα.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Greek Texts”