7th Century byzantine church

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jacob Rhoden

7th Century byzantine church

Post by Jacob Rhoden »

A friend of mine visited an ancient church. This looks greek to me, but I basically can't read it. Some of the letters look odd to me, but it also seems like I can't even pick out a single word. What sort of greek is this? How do I find out about it?
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.00.19 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 2.00.19 pm.png (767.73 KiB) Viewed 12312 times
Stephen Hughes

Re: 7th Century byzantine church

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Hi Jacob.
The name of an angel occurs in the text. Also, the word "and" occurs twice, not three times.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

A transcription of this text is presented on p. 42 of this journal article (in Greek): https://ejournals.epublishing.ekt.gr/in ... /5057/4828

And on p. 12 of this article (also in Greek): http://docplayer.gr/38942822-Ekklisies- ... lisia.html

I was able to extract the transcription:
ανακαινισθη εκ βαθρων και εζωγραφιθυ ο πανσεπτος ναος ουτος των μεγαλων ταξιαρχων μιχαηλ και γαβριηλ επι της βασιλειας ανδρονικου του παλ(αι)ο(λο)γου δηα κοπου και εξοδου θεοδωρου ιε(ρε)ος του αναλητη και κ(ων)σταντινου ιερεως του αναλητη και κ(ων)σταντινου του στηριοτη ετος στωμ εν ει
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Hughes

Post by Stephen Hughes »

Stephen Carlson wrote: September 1st, 2017, 10:11 am
εξοδου
The case and the time-frame allows that this may be the medieval word ἔξοδον, τὸ, meaning "expense", the money that is required or desired to be paid on something.
Γελᾷ δ' ὁ μωρός, κἄν τι μὴ γέλοιον ᾖ
(Menander, Γνῶμαι μονόστιχοι 108)

Return to “Greek Texts”