Sinaiticus and John 11:1

Greek texts such as the New Testament, The Greek Old Testament (Septuagint/LXX), Patristic Greek texts, Papyri, and other Greek writings of the New Testament era. Discussion must focus on the Greek text, not on modern language translations, theological controversies, or textual criticism.
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Rob Campanaro

Sinaiticus and John 11:1

Post by Rob Campanaro »

Hello, although I'm well familiar with Textual Criticism and its workings, I can't claim any real expertise in the area and I need an expert's opinion. In John 11:1 of Sinaiticus, the name ΜΑΡΙΑ[C] appears to overwrite something previously written. The N/A apparatus doesn't list a variant reading there nor does the website iohannes.com indicate anything of interest. Am I seeing something that from a Textual Critical standpoint isn't there?

Thanks so much!
Robert Campanaro
Coatesville, PA
Jean Putmans

Re: Sinaiticus and John 1:1

Post by Jean Putmans »

I am not an expert, but my guess is that the verso-side (column 4, line 20, the ιοτα of εις is shining through on the recto-side.

Have a look at the attachments.
Sin-20001-1100-pdf.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
Sin-20001-1090-pdf.pdf
(823.18 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Regards Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
S Walch

Re: Sinaiticus and John 11:1

Post by S Walch »

I've had a look at the images up on www.codexsinaiticus.org, and it just looks like a very slight mark to the left of the second α.

Certainly no evidence of any under-writing being scrapped away and written over.
Ken M. Penner

Re: Sinaiticus and John 1:1

Post by Ken M. Penner »

Jean Putmans wrote: May 5th, 2022, 1:04 amthe verso-side (column 4, line 20, the ιοτα of εις is shining through on the recto-side.
I agree.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Rob Campanaro

Re: Sinaiticus and John 11:1

Post by Rob Campanaro »

Sorry for the late reply. After I posted the question, I came down with something pretty real. COVID? I don't know. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's replies!
Robert Campanaro
Coatesville, PA

Return to “Greek Texts”