Romans 1:2. Grammar enquiry

Grammar questions which are not related to any specific text.
davidstansfield

Romans 1:2. Grammar enquiry

Post by davidstansfield » September 25th, 2020, 12:58 am

Romans 1:2
ὃ προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις (which he promised beforehand through the prophets of him in the holy scriptures)

Hello,
Continuing my uncommon translation of Rom 1:1 as “… having been separated into …”: can the common translation of Rom 1:2, “which he promised beforehand…”, refer back to this separation? Specifically, is the morphology and syntax of ὃ προεπηγγείλατο compatible with the wider phrase, ἀφωρισμένος εἰς εὐαγγέλιον θεοῦ?
0 x

David R. Stansfield

Barry Hofstetter

Re: Romans 1:2. Grammar enquiry

Post by Barry Hofstetter » September 25th, 2020, 8:41 am

davidstansfield wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 12:58 am
Romans 1:2
ὃ προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις (which he promised beforehand through the prophets of him in the holy scriptures)

Hello,
Continuing my uncommon translation of Rom 1:1 as “… having been separated into …”: can the common translation of Rom 1:2, “which he promised beforehand…”, refer back to this separation? Specifically, is the morphology and syntax of ὃ προεπηγγείλατο compatible with the wider phrase, ἀφωρισμένος εἰς εὐαγγέλιον θεοῦ?
Look at the context:

Παῦλος δοῦλος Χριστοῦ Ἰησοῦ1, κλητὸς ἀπόστολος ἀφωρισμένος εἰς εὐαγγέλιον θεοῦ, 2  προεπηγγείλατο διὰ τῶν προφητῶν αὐτοῦ ἐν γραφαῖς ἁγίαις...

The natural antecedent for the neuter pronoun ὅ is εὐαγγέλιον. Your suggestion is essentially impossible.
0 x
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

davidstansfield

Re: Romans 1:2. Grammar enquiry

Post by davidstansfield » September 28th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Barry Hofstetter wrote:
September 25th, 2020, 8:41 am
The natural antecedent for the neuter pronoun ὅ is εὐαγγέλιον.
Thank you,
Ok…
The answer to my question, ‘can the common translation of Rom 1:2’ refer back to this separation (directly), is no.

FYI, my proposed translation of εἰς in Rom 1:1, stands.
With the focus on the gospel, the meaning is that the promised, prophesied gospel anticipated this…
0 x
David R. Stansfield

Return to “Grammar Questions”