Isaiah Chapter 49

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 49

Post by Ken M. Penner »

321. Lord called me as his servant Israel (49:1-4)
49.1 ἀκούσατέ μου, αἱ νῆσοι, καὶ προσέχετε, ἔθνη· διὰ χρόνου πολλοῦ στήσεται, λέγει Κύριος. ἐκ κοιλίας μητρός μου ἐκάλεσεν τὸ ὄνομά μου 2 καὶ ἔθηκεν τὸ στόμα μου ὡσεὶ μάχαιραν ὀξεῖαν καὶ ὑπὸ τὴν σκέπην τῆς χειρὸς αὐτοῦ ἐσκέπασέν με, ἔθηκέν με ὡς βέλος ἐκλεκτὸν καὶ ἐν τῇ φαρέτρᾳ αὐτοῦ ἔκρυψέν με. 3 καὶ εἶπέν μοι Δοῦλός μου εἶ σύ, Ἰσραήλ, καὶ ἐν σοὶ δοξασθήσομαι. 4 καὶ ἐγὼ εἶπα Κενῶς ἐκοπίασα καὶ εἰς μάταιον καὶ εἰς οὐδὲν δέδωκα τὴν ἰσχύν μου· διὰ τοῦτο ἡ κρίσις μου παρὰ Κυρίῳ, καὶ ὁ πόνος μου ἔναντι τοῦ θεοῦ μου.

322. Lord formed me as his servant to gather Israel (49:5-6)
5 Καὶ νῦν οὕτως λέγει Κύριος ὁ πλάσας με ἐκ κοιλίας δοῦλον ἑαυτοῦ τοῦ συναγαγεῖν τὸν Ἰσραὴλ καὶ Ἰακὼβ πρὸς αὐτόν – συναχθήσομαι καὶ δοξασθήσομαι ἔναντι Κυρίου, καὶ ὁ θεός μου ἔσται μου ἰσχύς 6 καὶ εἶπέν μοι Μέγα σοί ἐστιν τὸ κληθῆναί σε παῖδά μου τοῦ στῆσαι τὰς φυλὰς Ἰακὼβ καὶ τὴν διασπορὰν τοῦ Ἰσραὴλ ἐπιστρέψαι·
323. A covenant, a light of nations (49:6)
ἰδοὺ τέθεικά σε εἰς διαθήκην γένους εἰς φῶς ἐθνῶν τοῦ εἶναί σε εἰς σωτηρίαν ἕως ἐσχάτου τῆς γῆς.

324. Nations will worship him (49:7)
7 Οὕτως λέγει Κύριος ὁ ῥυόμενός σε ὁ θεὸς Ἰσραήλ Ἁγιάσατε τὸν φαυλίζοντα τὴν ψυχὴν αὐτοῦ τὸν βδελυσσόμενον ὑπὸ τῶν ἐθνῶν τῶν δούλων τῶν ἀρχόντων· βασιλεῖς ὄψονται αὐτὸν καὶ ἀναστήσονται, ἄρχοντες καὶ προσκυνήσωσιν αὐτῷ ἕνεκεν Κυρίου· ὅτι πιστός ἐστιν ὁ ἅγιος Ἰσραήλ, καὶ ἐξελεξάμην σε.

325. A light of nations (49:8-9)
8 Οὕτως λέγει Κύριος Καιρῷ δεκτῷ ἐπήκουσά σοι καὶ ἐν ἡμέρᾳ σωτηρίας ἐβοήθησά σοι καὶ ἔδωκά σε εἰς διαθήκην γένους εἰς φῶς ἐθνῶν τοῦ καταστῆσαι τὴν γῆν καὶ κληρονομῆσαι κληρονομίαν ἐρήμου, 9 λέγοντα τοῖς ἐν δεσμοῖς Ἐξέλθατε, καὶ τοῖς ἐν τῷ σκότει ἀνακαλυφθῆναι.
326. I will ease their way (49:10-12)
καὶ ἐν πάσαις ταῖς ὁδοῖς αὐτῶν βοσκηθήσονται, καὶ ἐν πάσαις ταῖς τρίβοις ἡ νομὴ αὐτῶν· 10 οὐ πεινάσουσιν οὐδὲ διψήσουσιν, οὐδὲ πατάξει αὐτοὺς καύσων οὐδὲ ὁ ἥλιος, ἀλλὰ ὁ ἐλεῶν αὐτοὺς παρακαλέσει καὶ διὰ πηγῶν ὑδάτων ἄξει αὐτούς· 11 καὶ θήσω πᾶν ὄρος εἰς ὁδὸν καὶ πάντα τρίβον εἰς βόσκημα αὐτοῖς. 12 ἰδοὺ οὗτοι πόρρωθεν ἔρχονται, καὶ οὗτοι δὲ ἀπὸ βορρᾶ καὶ θαλάσσης, ἄλλοι δὲ ἐκ γῆς Περσῶν.

327. Let creation rejoice! (49:13)
13 Εὐφράνητε, οὐρανοί, καὶ ἀγαλλιάσθω ἡ γῆ, ῥηξάτωσαν τὰ ὄρη εὐφροσύνην καὶ οἱ βουνοὶ δικαιοσύνην, ὅτι ἠλέησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν λαὸν αὐτοῦ καὶ τοὺς ταπεινοὺς τοῦ λαοῦ αὐτοῦ παρεκάλεσεν.
328. I will never forget you (49:14-15)
14 εἶπεν δὲ Σιών Ἐγκατέλιπέν με Κύριος, καὶ ὁ Κύριος ἐπελάθετό μου.

15 Μὴ ἐπιλήσεται γυνὴ τοῦ παιδίου αὐτῆς ἢ τοῦ μὴ ἐλεῆσαι τὰ ἔκγονα τῆς κοιλίας αὐτῆς; εἰ δὲ καὶ ἐπελάθετο ταῦτα γυνή, ἀλέγω οὐκ ἐπιλήσομαί σου.
329. You will be rebuilt quickly (49:16-17)
16 ἰδοὺ ἐπὶ τῶν χειρῶν μου ἐζωγράφηκά σου τὰ τείχη σου, καὶ ἐνώπιόν μου εἶ διὰ παντός· 17 καὶ ταχὺ οἰκοδομηθήσῃ ὑφʼ ὑμῶν καθῃρέθης, καὶ οἱ ἐρημώσαντές σε ἐκ σοῦ ἐξελεύσονται.
330. You will be crowded with settlers (49:18-21)
18 ἆρον κύκλῳ τοὺς ὀφθαλμούς σου καὶ ἴδε‌ πάντας, ἰδοὺ συνήχθησαν καὶ ἤλθοσαν πρὸς σέ·
Ζῶ ἐγώ, λέγει Κύριος ὅτι πάντας αὐτοὺς ἐνδύσῃ καὶ περιθήσῃ αὐτοὺς ὡς κόσμον νύμφης. 19 ὅτι τὰ ἔρημά σου καὶ τὰ κατεφθαρμένα καὶ τὰ κατεπτωκότα νῦν στενοχωρήσει ἀπὸ τῶν κατοικούντων σε, καὶ μακρυνθήσονται ἀπὸ σοῦ οἱ καταπίνοντές σε. 20 ἐροῦσιν γὰρ εἰς τὰ ὦτά σου οἱ υἱοί σου οὓς ἀπολώλεκας Στενός μοι ὁ τόπος, ποίησόν μοι τόπον ἵνα κατοικήσω. 21 καὶ ἐρεῖς ἐν τῇ καρδίᾳ σου Τίς ἐγέννησέν μοι τούτους; ἐγὼ δὲ ἄτεκνος καὶ χήρα, τούτους δὲ τίς ἐξέθρεψέν μοι; ἐγὼ δὲ κατελείφθην μόνη, οὗτοι δέ μοι ποῦ ἦσαν;

331. Foreigners will serve you (49:22-23)
22 Οὕτως λέγει Κύριος Ἰδοὺ αἴρω εἰς τὰ ἔθνη τὴν χεῖρά μου καὶ εἰς τὰς νήσους ἀρῶ σύσσημόν μου, καὶ ἄξουσιν τοὺς υἱούς σου ἐν κόλπῳ σου, τὰς δὲ θυγατέρας σου ἐπʼ ὤμων ἀροῦσιν, 23 καὶ ἔσονται βασιλεῖς τιθηνοί σου, αἱ δὲ ἄρχουσαι αὐτῶν τροφοί σου· ἐπὶ πρόσωπον τῆς γῆς προσκυνήσουσίν σοι καὶ τὸν χοῦν τῶν ποδῶν σου λείξουσιν· καὶ γνώσῃ ὅτι ἐγὼ Κύριος, καὶ οὐκ αἰσχυνθήσῃ.

332. Lord will rescue you from your giant oppressors (49:24-26)
24 Μὴ λήμψεταί τις παρὰ γίγαντος σκῦλα; καὶ ἐὰν αἰχμαλωτεύσῃ τις ἀδίκως, σωθήσεται; 25 οὕτως λέγει Κύριος Ἐάν τις αἰχμαλωτεύσῃ γίγαντα, λήμψεται σκῦλα· λαμβάνων δὲ παρὰ ἰσχύοντος σωθήσεται· ἐγὼ δὲ τὴν κρίσιν σου κρινῶ, καὶ ἐγὼ τοὺς υἱούς σου ῥύσομαι· 26 καὶ φάγονται οἱ θλίψαντές σε τὰς σάρκας αὐτῶν πίονται ὡς οἶνον νέον τὸ αἷμα αὐτῶν καὶ μεθυσθήσονται, καὶ αἰσθανθήσονται πᾶσα σὰρξ ὅτι ἐγὼ Κύριος ὁ ῥυσάμενός σε καὶ ἀντιλαμβανόμενος ἰσχύος Ἰακώβ.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 49 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

321. Lord called me as his servant Israel (49:1-4)
49.1 Listen to me, islands, and pay attention, nations. It will stand through much time, says Lord. He called my name from my mother's womb, 2 and he set my mouth like a sharp sword, and he sheltered me under the shelter of his hand; he made me like a choice arrow and he hid me in his quiver. 3 And he said to me, You are my servant, Israel, and I will be glorified in you. 4 And I said, I have toiled in vain and to no purpose, and I have given my strength for nothing .Because of this, my judgment is with Lord, and my hard work is before my God.
322. Lord formed me as his servant to gather Israel (49:5-6)
5 And now thus says Lord, who formed me from the womb as his own servant, to gather Israel and Iakob to himself. I will be gathered and glorified before Lord, and my God will be my strength.6 And he said to me, It is for you a great thing for you to be called my servant, to set up the tribes of Jacob and to turn back the dispersion of Israel.
323. A covenant, a light of nations (49:6)
Look, I have set you as a covenant, a family to be a light of nations, for you to become a salvation until the end of the land.

324. Nations will worship him (49:7)
7 Thus says Lord who rescues you, the God of Israel: Sanctify the one who disparages his soul, who is abhorred by the nations, the servants of the leaders. Kings will see him and they will rise up; may leaders also worship him for the sake of Lord, because the holy one of Israel is faithful, and I have chosen you.

325. A light of nations (49:8-9)
8 Thus says Lord: I have listened to you at an acceptable time, and I have helped you in the day of salvation, and I have given you as a covenant, a family for light of nations, to establish the land and to allocate an inheritance of a deserted land, 9 telling those in bonds, Come out, and those in the darkness to be revealed.
326. I will ease their way (49:9-12)
And they will be fed in all their ways, and their pasture will be in all their paths. 10 They will not get hungry or thirsty, nor will the burning or the sun strike them, but the one who has mercy will encourage them and he will lead them through springs of waters. 11 And I will turn every mountain into a way and every path into a feeding ground for them. 12 Look, these people are coming from afar, and some of these are from the north and sea, and others are from the land of the Persians.

327. Let creation rejoice! (49:13)
13 Rejoice, heavens, and let the earth rejoice! Let the mountains burst forth with joy, and the hills with righteousness, because God has shown mercy to his people, and he has encouraged the humble of his people.
328. I will never forget you (49:14-15)
14 But Sion said, Lord has left me behind, and the Lord has forgotten me.
15 Will a woman forget her child, or to show mercy to the offspring of her womb? But even if a woman forgot these, I care; I will not forget you.
329. You will be rebuilt quickly (49:16-17)
16 Look, I have painted your walls on my hands, and you are before me always. 17 And you will be built quickly by you. You were torn down, and those who desolated you will go out from you.
330. You will be crowded with settlers (49:18-21)
18 Lift up your eyes around, and see all these people. Look, they have gathered and come to you.

As I live, Lord says that you will put them all on and you will place them around like a bride’s ornamentation, 19 because your desolate things and the destroyed things and the fallen things will now be crowded with those who inhabit you; and those who swallowed you will be distanced from you. 20 For your sons whom you destroyed will say in your ears, The place is too crowded for me; make me a place so that I might live in it. 21 And you will say in your heart, Who produced these sons for me? I am childless and a widow. Who raised them for me? I have been left alone, but where were these sons for me?

331. Foreigners will serve you (49:22-23)
22 Thus says Lord, Look, I am raising my hand to the nations ,and I will raise my signal to the islands, and they will bring your sons in your bosom, and they will carry your daughters on their shoulders, 23 and kings will take care of you, and their leading women will be your nurses; they will bow to you to the face of the land, and they will lick the dust of your feet, and you will know that I am Lord, and you will not be put to shame.

332. Lord will rescue you from your giant oppressors (49:24-26)
24 Will anyone take spoils from a giant? Even if someone captures unjustly, will he be saved? 25 Thus says Lord, If anyone captures a giant, he will take spoils, and when he takes from a strong main, he will be saved, but I will decide your judgment, and I will rescue your sons. 26 And those who oppress you will eat their own flesh; they will drink their own blood like new wine and be drunk, and every body will perceive that I am Lord, who rescues you and who aids the strength of Jacob.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”