Isaiah Chapter 57

This is a B-Greek reading Group for the LXX Isaiah. This reading group is going through two chapters of the LXX Isaiah per week. Ken Penner, the B-Greek moderator for the "Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha Forum" is writing a commentary on the LXX Isaiah and is sharing his notes with those who wish to read the Isaiah LXX. Dive in, if you dare!
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 57

Post by Ken M. Penner »

374. The righteous has been taken away (57:1-2)
57.1 ἴδετε ὡς ὁ δίκαιος ἀπώλετο, καὶ οὐδεὶς κατανοεῖ καὶ ἄνδρες δίκαιοι αἴρονται, καὶ οὐδεὶς ἐκδέχεται τῇ καρδίᾳ. ἀπὸ γὰρ προσώπου ἀδικίας ἦρται ὁ δίκαιος· 2 ἔσται ἐν εἰρήνῃ ἡ ταφὴ αὐτοῦ.

Ἦρται ἐκ τοῦ μέσου.
375. Idolaters will reap the consequences (57:3-6)
3 ὑμεῖς δὲ προσαγάγετε ὧδε, υἱοὶ ἄνομοι, σπέρμα μοιχῶν καὶ πόρνης· 4 ἐν τίνι ἐνετρυφήσατε; καὶ ἐπὶ τίνι ἠνοίξατε τὸ στόμα ὑμῶν; καὶ ἐπὶ τίνα ἐχαλάσατε τὴν γλῶσσαν ὑμῶν; οὐχ ὑμεῖς ἐστε τέκνα ἀπωλείας, σπέρμα ἄνομον; 5 οἱ παρακαλοῦντες ἐπὶ τὰ εἴδωλα ὑπὸ δένδρα δασέα, σφάζοντες τὰ τέκνα αὐτῶν ἐν ταῖς φάραγξιν ἀνὰ μέσον τῶν πετρῶν. 6 ἐκείνη σου ἡ μερίς, οὗτός σου ὁ κλῆρος, ἐχῖνοις ἐξέχεας ποδὰς ἐκείνοις ἀνήνεγκας θυσίας· ἐπὶ τούτοις οὖν οὐκ ὀργισθήσομαι; λέγει Κύριος.

376. Your unfaithfulness alienated us (57:7-10)
7 Ἐπʼ ὄρος ὑψηλὸν καὶ μετέωρον, ἐκεῖ σου ἡ κοίτη.

Κἀκεῖ ἀναβίβασας θυσίας. 8 καὶ ὀπίσω τῶν σταθμῶν τῆς θύρας σου ἔθηκας μνημόσυνόν σου· ὡς ὅτι ἐὰν ἀπʼ ἐμοῦ ἀποστῇς, πλεῖόν τι ἕξεις·

Ἠγάπησας τοὺς κοιμωμένους μετὰ σοῦ 9 καὶ ἐπλήθυνας τὴν πορνείαν σου μετʼ αὐτῶν καὶ πολλοὺς ἐποίησας τοὺς μακρὰν ἀπὸ σοῦ καὶ ἀπέστειλας πρέσβεις ὑπὲρ τὰ ὅριά σου καὶ ἐταπεινώθη ἕως ᾅδου. 10 ταῖς πολυοδίαις σου ἐκοπίασας καὶ οὐκ εἶπας Παύσομαι ἐνισχύουσα ὅτι ἔπραξας ταῦτα, διὰ τοῦτο οὐ κατεδεήθης μου.
377. I will publicize your scorn (57:11-13)
11 σύ τίνα εὐλαβηθεῖσα ἐφοβήθης καὶ ἐψεύσω με καὶ οὐκ ἐμνήσθης μου οὐδὲ ἔλαβές με εἰς τὴν διάνοιάν σου, οὐδὲ εἰς τὴν καρδίαν σου. καὶ ἐγώ σε ἰδὼν παρορῶ, καὶ ἐμὲ οὐκ ἐφοβήθης. 12 καὶ ἐγὼ ἀπαγγελῶ τὴν δικαιοσύνην σου καὶ τὰ κακά σου, ἃ οὐκ ὠφελήσει σε. 13 ὅταν ἀναβοήσεις, ἐξελέσθωσάν σε ἐν τῇ θλίψει σου· τούτους γὰρ πάντας ἄνεμος λήμψεται καὶ ἀποίσεται αὐτοὺς καταιγίς.
378. Ease for the devoted (57:13-14)
οἱ δὲ ἀντεχόμενοί μου κτήσονται γῆν καὶ κληρονομήσουσιν τὸ ὄρος τὸ ἅγιόν μου. 14 καὶ ἐροῦσιν Καθαρίσατε ἀπὸ προσώπου αὐτοῦ ὁδοὺς καὶ ἄρατε σκῶλα ἀπὸ τῆς ὁδοῦ τοῦ λαοῦ μου.

379. The most holy one will not punish forever (57:15-16)
15 Τάδε λέγει ὁ ὕψιστος ἐν ὑψηλοῖς κατοικῶν τὸν αἰῶνα, ἅγιος ἐν ἁγίοις ὄνομα αὐτῷ, Κύριος ὁ ὕψιστος εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ὁ ἐν ἁγίοις ἀναπαυόμενος καὶ ὀλιγοψύχοις διδοὺς μακροθυμίαν καὶ διδοὺς ζωὴν τοῖς συντετριμμένοις τὴν καρδίαν 16 Οὐκ εἰς τὸν αἰῶνα ἐκδικήσω ὑμᾶς οὐδὲ διὰ παντὸς ὀργισθήσομαι ὑμῖν· πνεῦμα γὰρ παρʼ ἐμοῦ ἐξελεύσεται, καὶ πνοὴν πᾶσαν ἐγὼ ἐποίησα.
380. Peace and comfort will come shortly (57:17-20)
17 διʼ ἁμαρτίαν βραχύ τι ἐλύπησα αὐτὸν καὶ ἐπάταξα αὐτὸν καὶ ἀπέστρεψα τὸ πρόσωπόν μου ἀπʼ αὐτοῦ, καὶ ἐλυπήθη καὶ ἐπορεύθη στυγνὸς ἐν ταῖς ὁδοῖς αὐτοῦ. 18 τὰς ὁδοὺς αὐτοῦ ἑώρακα καὶ ἰασάμην αὐτὸν καὶ παρεκάλεσα αὐτὸν καὶ ἔδωκα αὐτῷ παράκλησιν ἀληθινήν, 19 εἰρήνην ἐπʼ εἰρήνην τοῖς μακρὰν καὶ τοῖς ἐγγὺς οὖσιν.

Καὶ εἶπεν Κύριος Ἰάσομαι αὐτούς. 20 οἱ δὲ ἄδικοι οὕτως κλυδωνισθήσονται καὶ ἀναπαύσασθαι οὐ δυνήσονται.
381. Proclaim my people's sins (57:21-58:2)
21 οὐκ ἔστιν χαίρειν τοῖς ἀσεβέσιν, εἶπεν Κύριος ὁ θεός.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org
Ken M. Penner

Isaiah Chapter 57 translation

Post by Ken M. Penner »

374. The righteous has been taken away (57:1-2)
57.1 See how the righteous person has perished, and no one comprehends, and, and righteous men are taken away, and no one takes it to heart. For the righteous person has been taken away from the face of injustice, 2 his grave will be in peace.

He has been taken up from the middle.
375. Idolaters will reap the consequences (57:3-6)
3 But you, come here, evil sons, seed of adulterers and prostitutes! 4 In what did you revel? And at what did you open your mouth? And against whom have you loosened your tongue? Are you not children of destruction, evil seed, 5 you who call upon idols under thick trees, who slaughter their children in the ravines in the middle of the rocks? 6 That is your portion, this is your lot; you poured out feet to hedgehogs; you brought up sacrifices to those things; therefore will I not be angry at these things? says Lord.

376. Your unfaithfulness alienated us (57:7-10)
7 Your bed is there upon a high and exalted mountain.

And there you offered sacrifices 8 and also placed your memorial behind the posts of your door, as if because you leave me you will have some more.

You loved those who sleep with you 9 and you multiplied your fornication with them, and you have made them who are far from you many, and you sent ambassadors over your borders and it was brought down to Hades. 10 You toiled on your long journeys and you did not say, I will cease being strengthened. Because you have done these things, you did not entreat me because of this.
377. I will publicize your scorn (57:11-13)
11 Whom did you dread and fear? And you cheated me and you did not remember me or take me into your mind or your heart. And I see and overlook you, and you did not fear me. 12 And I will proclaim your righteousness and your evil deeds that will not benefit you. 13 When you will call out, let them rescue you in your distress; for a wind will take all these people, and a squall will carry them away.
378. Ease for the devoted (57:13-14)
But those who hold to me will acquire land and will inherit my holy mountain. 14 And they will say, Cleanse paths from his face and take away obstacles from the path of my people.

379. The most holy one will not punish forever (57:15-16)
15 Thus says the most high who dwells in the heights for eternity, a holy one among the holy ones is his name, Lord most high, resting among the holy ones, and providing perseverance to the faint-hearted and providing life to those who are heart-broken. 16 I will not punish you forever and I will not be angry with you forever, for a spirit will go out from me, and I have made every breath.
380. Peace and comfort will come shortly (57:17-20)
17 I distressed him briefly because of sin, and I struck him and turned my face away from him, and he was saddened and went in his ways gloomy. 18 I have seen his ways and I healed him and comforted him and gave him true comfort, 19 peace upon peace to those who are far away and to those who are near.

And Lord said, I will heal them. 20 But the unjust will thus be tossed around and will not be able to rest.
381. Proclaim my people's sins (57:21-58:2)
21 There is no rejoicing among the impious, says Lord God.
Ken M. Penner
Professor and Chair of Religious Studies, St. Francis Xavier University
Co-Editor, Digital Biblical Studies
General Editor, Lexham English Septuagint
Co-Editor, Online Critical Pseudepigrapha pseudepigrapha.org

Return to “Series on Isaiah”