Sentence initial γαρ

Matthew Longhorn

Sentence initial γαρ

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

I am wondering how to deal with examples of sentence initial γαρ.
So far as I have read, γαρ indicates that the clause(s) it introduces are material that strengthen that which typically comes before it. Other nuances brought out by some authors is that the material can help to clarify, explain the text it relates to, or perhaps deal with anticipated questions or objections that the author may have.
With passages such as are a bit more difficult for me to fit these in.
προσδραμὼν δὲ ὁ Φίλιππος ἤκουσεν αὐτοῦ ἀναγινώσκοντος Ἠσαΐαν τὸν προφήτην καὶ εἶπεν· ἆρά γε γινώσκεις ἃ ἀναγινώσκεις; 31 ὁ δὲ εἶπεν· πῶς γὰρ ἂν δυναίμην ἐὰν μή τις ⸀ὁδηγήσει με; Acts 8:30-31 (NA28)
I guess that if I take this as anaphoric then it would be strengthening an implied "ου (δυναμαι)", with the γαρ clause indicating the reason for that inability. This would be strengthening the negation, providing the reason for it and therefore anticipating and removing the need for the question "why?"
I don't have the imagination of how this could be cataphoric here.

I think I found another example a long time back but can't find it anymore. The example was another opening word in a response to a question.
Eeli Kaikkonen

Re: Sentence initial γαρ

Post by Eeli Kaikkonen »

Your explanation sounds plausible to me, it's the same I thought intuitively before I read your explanation carefully enough to understand it.

I'm not a native English speaker so I I can't say what would be a good English paraphrase, but maybe something like "How then could I..."
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks Eli
Eeli Kaikkonen wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 1:28 pm before I read your explanation carefully enough to understand it.
in some ancient non-biblical documents, one of the signs of the end times is me finally communicating clearly ;-)
John Kendall

Post by John Kendall »

This paper by Kees Thijs on turn-initial γάρ in Greek dramatic dialogue may be of interest to you Matthew:
https://www.academia.edu/18874521/%CE%A ... k_dialogue.

I've had a copy sitting on my PC for some considerable time, but haven't got round to reading it yet.
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks John!
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

I was going to recommend the Thijs article too. I was a bit confused by the title and the example, since γάρ is not the first word of a sentence or of the sentence quoted. I guess maybe something like “first-sentence γάρ“ is meant?
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Stephen Carlson wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 6:15 am since γάρ is not the first word of a sentence or of the sentence quoted.
Yep, sorry - was thinking as postpositive then sentence initial was fine. Need to be clearer in terminology and questions
Matthew Longhorn

Just spotted that Thijs has posted his 2021 Phd thesis on polysemous particles to academia.edu. Focuses on μην and δη, but figured people may be interested given that we have just referenced him
https://www.academia.edu/48785247/Polys ... μήν_and_δή

Return to “Pragmatics and Discourse”