Adverbial element with multiple verbs in Rom 16:1-2

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Grant Nichols

Adverbial element with multiple verbs in Rom 16:1-2

Post by Grant Nichols »

Hi, and thank you for engaging . . .

Rom 16:1-2 Συνίστημι δὲ ὑμῖν Φοίβην τὴν ἀδελφὴν ἡμῶν, οὖσαν [καὶ] διάκονον τῆς ἐκκλησίας τῆς ἐν Κεγχρεαῖς, ἵνα αὐτὴν προσδέξησθε ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων καὶ παραστῆτε αὐτῇ ἐν ᾧ ἂν ὑμῶν χρῄζῃ πράγματι· καὶ γὰρ αὐτὴ προστάτις πολλῶν ἐγενήθη καὶ ἐμοῦ αὐτοῦ. (United Bible Societies, 4th edition, copyright Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft)

Translation/exegetical decision for v.2:
(a) Whether the adverbial element (ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων) applies to BOTH 2nd person plural subjunctive verbs (προσδέξησθε and παραστῆτε), or solely to προσδέξησθε.
(b) Hence also, whether the καὶ (καὶ παραστῆτε) functions to connect the subjunctives that both apply to the readers (ὑμῖν in v.1), or functions to connect clauses in a way that severs the adverbial element from the second subjunctive (παραστῆτε).

Some notes:
1. I have tried to find guidance among numerous Grammar sources, but have found nothing that comes close to resolving this matter.
2. I appreciate this is questioning the norm: all published English translations (I have found) separate the clauses, and apply the adverbial element solely to the first subjunctive (eg, NASB-95: "that you receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and that you help her in whatever matter she may have need of you; for she herself has also been a helper of many, and of myself as well.")
3. As in (b) above, both subjunctives in question pertain grammatically to the readers, even if across clauses.
4. Paul is exhorting the readers to receive (προσδέξησθε) and present to / support (παραστῆτε) Phoebe as a complete outcome of his commending (Συνίστημι) her to them. All three verbs share semantic nuances of relationship to form a cohesion. Again, these are directions for the readers to consider and (hopefully) follow.
5. The adverbial element (in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints) makes reasonable sense for both προσδέξησθε AND παραστῆτε, especially in the light of Romans 12 (esp vv.1-6), where Paul urged the readers to present (παρίστημι again) themselves in holiness (again) to use their gifts for the sake of the members of the Christian community. This included generosity and hospitality ("contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality" (12:13, NASB-95).
6. The final clause in 16:2 (... καὶ γὰρ αὐτὴ προστάτις πολλῶν ἐγενήθη καὶ ἐμοῦ αὐτοῦ) also makes sense as a basis for both receiving and supporting Phoebe. It speaks further to her service "τῆς ἐκκλησίας" in her community-oriented character, as well as to her specific activity as benefactor.
7. I currently favour the notion that Paul intended the adverbial element to apply to both προσδέξησθε and παραστῆτε. A possible resultant translation: "... in order that you - in the Lord, in a manner worthy of the holy ones - might both include her among you and present yourselves to her in whatever way she might need of you ...".

I would value learning any grammatical (or other) reasons and arguments that render this translation either acceptable or unacceptable.

I hope this makes sense, and I welcome inputs and discussion. Thank you in advance, Grant.
MAubrey

Re: Adverbial element with multiple verbs in Rom 16:1-2

Post by MAubrey »

Hi Grant,

ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων can't modify παραστῆτε because it isn't in παραστῆτε's clause. It can only modify προσδέξησθε. For the prepositional phrase to modify both, Paul would have needed to coordinate the verbs together within a single clause so that they share the modifying phrases and objects. That would have looked something more like this:

ἵνα αὐτὴν προσδέξησθε καὶ παραστῆτε ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων ἐν ᾧ ἂν ὑμῶν χρῄζῃ πράγματι.

By giving each subjunctive its own specific instance of the object αὐτὴν and delineating the prepositional phrases separate from each other each with one verb, ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων can only be read as modifying προσδέξησθε.

Greek Grammars are poor resources for syntactic issues like this because they have no concept of phrase structure, which in turn means also that few people teach students how to evaluate this kind of issue either.

Hope that helps.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Grant Nichols

Post by Grant Nichols »

Hi Mike.
MAubrey wrote: May 9th, 2023, 12:21 pm ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων can't modify παραστῆτε because it isn't in παραστῆτε's clause.
. . .
By giving each subjunctive its own specific instance of the object αὐτὴν and delineating the prepositional phrases separate from each other each with one verb, ἐν κυρίῳ ἀξίως τῶν ἁγίων can only be read as modifying προσδέξησθε.
Thanks for that insight - it helps clarify the syntax. Of the various search criteria I used going through my books (including Turner's "Syntax"), I did not consider the two object references as a key. As is often the case, there can be many aspects to consider, and being aware of all of them (and importantly, the "not-negotiables") is a challenge.

May I please ask: Is there such a thing as a "tool" that can help us process all the relevant "rules" for a given text?
The grammars and other reference works with which I'm familiar are great (and even fun reading at times), yet they are not organised around "the text in front of me". A checklist, or logic flow of things to consider/check, would be profoundly useful - both as guidance, and for ensuring decisions are sound. I have a picture in my head of how they would work, but I have not seen such a beast. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Grant.
MAubrey

Post by MAubrey »

I'm not sure I can give you a checklist. But here's some practical advice.
  • Respect phrase clause boundaries. If you're unsure, we have some pretty good tools here at B-Greek for checking syntax: http://www.ibiblio.org/bgreek/resources ... es/reader/
  • Trust the translations when they agree with each other is always a good start.
  • Keep reading lots and lots.
Mike Aubrey, Linguist
SIL International
Koine-Greek.com
Grant Nichols

Post by Grant Nichols »

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your time and valued advice. I will dig into the resources you provided, and seek to keep learning.

- Grant.

Return to “New Testament”