Luke 5:19

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jean Putmans

Luke 5:19

Post by Jean Putmans »

In Luke 5:19 the Greek Editions (NA28 and Robinson Pierpoint) have

και μη ευροντες ποιας εισενεγκωσιν ...

In the Manuscripts (checking 342 Mss. of the INTF) I found the following variants for ποιας:

ποιας : By far the majority

πωσ : 85 x
ποθεν: 23 x

δια ποιας οδου : 13 x
δια ποιας : 4 x
ποιας οδου : 17 x
ποιας εις οδου : 1x
δια ποιας θυρας : 1 x

The Mss. with the variants of ποιας ((δια) ποιας (οδου/θυρας)) are all quite late (12-16th century).

1: ποθεν seems strange to me, meaning „whence“ (local; causal), In this context: People are looking, how to bring the paralyzed man into the building.

2: ποιας: Zerwick, A Grammatical Analysis of the Greek New Testament comments:
"ποιας (sc. οδου) as: indir. interr. 'by what way': one of the rare NT examples of the gen. of place
"within which" (cf temporal νυκτος; 'by night' ...)“

Can one presume, that the variant (δια) ποιας οδου just on linguistic grounds could be the origin of the (elliptic) variant ποιας? (without regarding other textcritical reasons to make another choice!)

Regards

Jean
Jean Putmans
Netherlands
gotischebibel.blogspot.com
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Luke 5:19

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

This is an example of how textual variations show the scribes' understanding of the text. I would say that the writing the prepositional διὰ ποίας ὁδοῦ is making the "rare gen. of place" specific in meaning when the form would no longer automatically trigger the correct meaning for a Greek speaker.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.

Return to “New Testament”