Form of the Verb ἀποτρέπου at 2 Ti 3:5

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Jason Hare

Re: Form of the Verb ἀποτρέπου at 2 Ti 3:5

Post by Jason Hare »

Bernd Strauss wrote: December 10th, 2020, 3:46 am I thought that if a writer wants to emphasize to readers not familiar with the Greek language that a Greek word is in the present tense and implies a continuous action, he can use such a label.
You can and are allowed to say whatever you want. You could call it "the present superdooper potential best imperative." That's totally allowed. It's your language (English); it's your presentation. Everything is allowed, but not everything is beneficial. Why not stick to the categories that have already been defined (we here basically all know that the present imperative has the continuous aspect) and give definitions for a less academically inclined audience? I don't see the utility in using a label that isn't actually part of what we learn in Greek grammar. You don't learn "present continuous imperative" versus "present something-else imperative." There is only one present imperative, except that it is divided up into voice (active, middle-passive). The label reflects the form, not the use. But, by all means, you're free to call it anything you want, whether it corresponds to a traditional grammatical label or not.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Barry Hofstetter

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

On a purely pragmatic level, using standard terminology to which everyone has access is not only polite but also prevents confusion
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Bernd Strauss

Post by Bernd Strauss »

Jason Hare wrote: December 10th, 2020, 12:55 pm and give definitions for a less academically inclined audience?
This is what I tried to do by using the label/ definition “continuous present imperative verb” in my study note, since people not familiar with the Greek language do not know that the present imperative verb ἀποτρέπου is continuous. But in other instances, I use standard terminology.

Return to “New Testament”