Luke 21:2, why is χήραν Accusative?

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
TREDG

Luke 21:2, why is χήραν Accusative?

Post by TREDG »

Why is χήραν Accusative in Luke 21:2? Thanks :-)
Jason Hare

Re: Luke 21:2, why is χήραν Accusative?

Post by Jason Hare »

TREDG wrote: August 23rd, 2023, 4:45 am Why is χήραν Accusative in Luke 21:2? Thanks :-)
Hi, “TREDG.”

A couple of things: (1) I’m sure that TREDG is not your name. Could you please identify yourself in the signature line of your posts? We like to have a way to refer to each other as human beings—and if you have any special training in biblical Greek or in any other language (my specialty is in Hebrew), we would like to know. (2) Rather than forcing other people to open a separate app to look up the verse in question, it is a matter of etiquette to post the verse that you’re asking about in its original language. I don’t have the entire NT memorized (as I’m sure that no one else here does), so it’s just polite to ask “what is χήραν in the accusative in Luke 21:2?” and then to quote Luke 21:2 so that we know what verse you’re asking about without having to switch between apps or websites. It’s also helpful because sometimes there are numbering differences between versions—especially in the Psalms! Thanks!

In this case, the verse in question is: εἶδεν δέ τινα χήραν πενιχρὰν βάλλουσαν ἐκεῖ λεπτὰ δύο... By reading this, I can tell you that χήραν is accusative because it is the direct object of the verb εἶδεν. This is the most common use of the accusative. What would you expect otherwise?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel

Return to “New Testament”