Campbell: Advances Chapter 6

Paul-Nitz

Campbell: Advances Chapter 6

Post by Paul-Nitz »

This thread is for discussing Con Campbell's book, Advances in the Study of Greek (2015) Chapter Six:
“Idiolect, Genre, and Register”

The chapter makes that case that we should pay attention to idiolect, genre, and register.

It uses aspect studies of the Gospels and other Greek literature to show some statistical differences.

Again, I'm struck by the feeling that language is too big and complex for analysis to yield practically useful advances in understanding (for MOST of us). Seems to me, if a person reads, reads, reads, he’ll end up with a better gut understanding of these issues rather than through analysis.
Paul D. Nitz - Lilongwe Malawi
Stephen Carlson

Re: Campbell: Advances Chapter 6

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Paul-Nitz wrote:The chapter makes that case that we should pay attention to idiolect, genre, and register.
Sounds like a good idea in principle, but how are we to pay attention to it if our lexica don't tell us. (And they don't.) Detailed word studies of the word throughout Koine? Yikes, that's a lot of work.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Carlson

Re: Campbell: Advances Chapter 6

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Now that I've read the chapter, the overview and bibliography seems helpful though I cannot escape the feeling that this area of research is still largely unexplored territory. Here, the "advances" are baby steps.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Campbell: Advances in the Study of Greek”