Time

Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Saboi

Time

Post by Saboi »

I have being studying the Septuagint for quite some time and doing word by word comparison and noticed some similarities, for example how 'Time'
is expressed in various phrases.

I find these phrases in the Septuagint and the corresponding Hebrew and they structurally match, would conclude that the phrase originated in either
Greek or Hebrew, throughout the text, עד is often rendered εις, suggesting they are cognates and 'τέλος' is a probable cognate of עולם, since the
guttural Ayin becomes τ e.g שעיר /=/ Σάτυρος.

εις το τέλος : עד ה עולם
τέλους ἀεί : עולם עד
Δια τέλους - עולם

It also occurred to me that the common Greek word for 'Time' is χρόνος and the cognate is עלם (χρν) and τελῶν

Δια τέλους "through to the end"
* לעולם
* לעילום
* הלעולמים
* עד עלם עלמיא
Lee Magee
Barry Hofstetter

Re: Time

Post by Barry Hofstetter »

Very simply, Hebrew and Greek are not cognate languages, and these words do not derive from each other.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter, M.A., Th.M.
Ph.D. Student U of FL
Instructor of Latin
Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
καὶ σὺ τὸ σὸν ποιήσεις κἀγὼ τὸ ἐμόν. ἆρον τὸ σὸν καὶ ὕπαγε.
Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Time

Post by Stirling Bartholomew »

Saboi wrote: October 26th, 2018, 7:11 am I have being studying the Septuagint for quite some time and doing word by word comparison and noticed some similarities, for example how 'Time'
is expressed in various phrases.

I find these phrases in the Septuagint and the corresponding Hebrew and they structurally match, would conclude that the phrase originated in either
Greek or Hebrew, throughout the text, עד is often rendered εις, suggesting they are cognates and 'τέλος' is a probable cognate of עולם, since the
guttural Ayin becomes τ e.g שעיר /=/ Σάτυρος.

εις το τέλος : עד ה עולם
τέλους ἀεί : עולם עד
Δια τέλους - עולם

It also occurred to me that the common Greek word for 'Time' is χρόνος and the cognate is עלם (χρν) and τελῶν

Δια τέλους "through to the end"
* לעולם
* לעילום
* הלעולמים
* עד עלם עלמיא
Some translators of texts included in the hodgepodge collection of what people refer to as "The Septuagint" intentionally mimicked syntax of the Hebrew. Prepositional phrases were easy since prep+article+noun will work in both languages. You will find many examples of formal equivalence in certain texts and very few in others. Prepositional phrases are not a litmus test for this because they coincidentally look the same.
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Septuagint and Pseudepigrapha”