I would love to be a guinea pig!

Walking through the text of John, starting in the beginning, with exercises designed to teach grammar and syntax as we go, using a communicative approach.

Please do not provide answers to exercises here, that belongs in the chat area. We don't want the next student to see your answers before trying the exercise.
caspianrex

I would love to be a guinea pig!

Post by caspianrex »

Based on what I saw posted elsewhere, it looked like some teachers wanted to attempt to walk some online students thru the first chapter of John. Did that plan ever get off the ground? Because I would love to have someone teach me!

I took a year of NT Greek about 15 years ago. I've done quite a bit of self-study since then, but it's tricky to advance without someone else to guide me. So if anyone needs a student, I'm willing to learn!

Let me know...

Best,
Cory Howell
Nashville, TN
Shirley Rollinson

Re: I would love to be a guinea pig!

Post by Shirley Rollinson »

caspianrex wrote:Based on what I saw posted elsewhere, it looked like some teachers wanted to attempt to walk some online students thru the first chapter of John. Did that plan ever get off the ground? Because I would love to have someone teach me!

I took a year of NT Greek about 15 years ago. I've done quite a bit of self-study since then, but it's tricky to advance without someone else to guide me. So if anyone needs a student, I'm willing to learn!

Let me know...

Best,
Cory Howell
Nashville, TN
I've taught first year Greek online - it is quite tough on the students. But if that's the only way someone can do it, then it's better than nothing.
Next semester I'm due to teach a partial (3 sessions in class, 1 session online, each week). It won't go through John's Gospel, but it does do some from the GNT each week.
So you'd be more than welcome to audit or just lurk if you wish.
To do it for college credit would mean registering for it as a student, but you probably don't need to do that.
Or if you want to stay with John's Gospel, you might start reading it, and post a question about whatever comes up in the text.
The online course from some years ago is still up on the web, at
http://www.drshirley.org/gr201/index.html
I'll be updating it for the Fall semester's course, but I'll still leave the online portion of the course available for anyone who wants to use it. And if you have questions, don't hesitate to contact me, or post a question to B-Greek.
Thanks
Shirley Rollinson
Jonathan Robie

Re: I would love to be a guinea pig!

Post by Jonathan Robie »

caspianrex wrote:Based on what I saw posted elsewhere, it looked like some teachers wanted to attempt to walk some online students thru the first chapter of John. Did that plan ever get off the ground? Because I would love to have someone teach me!
Here's the current status: Micheal Palmer and I are trying to get things in rough shape, then invite other teachers to join us. We thought the discussion wasn't really converging on one direction, so we are creating some ESL/SSL style lessons as a "stake in the ground", which we will send to some of the people who have volunteered to work on this. It will almost certainly change as a result of that feedback, we'll use that to find a common direction.

I've also decided I need to create a software authoring environment for online lessons using this approach.

For a student, I think that means we'll need guinea pigs perhaps later this year but not yet.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “John”