[Dickey] Group Progress

A subforum for working through Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose, which can be purchased online at Cambridge press or Amazon.

If you are interested and want to get started, or want to look at a sample before you jump in, the intro on accents and the first chapter is available online as a free PDF here .
Jason Hare

Re: Group Working Through Dickey's Greek Composition

Post by Jason Hare »

EricSowell wrote: August 12th, 2019, 11:32 pm Alrighty. Starting chapter 2! We can extend the next chapter to 3 weeks if people aren't caught up enough.
Yeah, if you don't mind. I've had a busy couple of weeks. I worked from 5:30am to 3:00pm today, and I'm now home (5pm). I'm finally getting to sit down with Smyth and Dickey after giving two two-hour Hebrew sessions on Skype yesterday morning to a couple of students.

I've got a lot of reading to do, and I put together the vocab for the first five chapters of Dickey on Quizlet. Just haven't had the time that I wanted.

I'm requesting an extension of the activities of chapter 2. ;)
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Daniel Semler

Re: Group Working Through Dickey's Greek Composition

Post by Daniel Semler »

Jason Hare wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:02 am
I'm requesting an extension of the activities of chapter 2. ;)
Wouldn't worry me. I am just into the Analysis exercises myself. Slowed myself down by typing them (probably be a benefit in the end) into a LibreOffice doc so I could apply Dickey's analysis method from Appendix C more rigorously. And had to switch keyboard mappings on the way due to problem with one of them. Oh well.

Thx
D
EricSowell

Re: Group Progress

Post by EricSowell »

Jason Hare wrote: August 25th, 2019, 10:02 am I'm requesting an extension of the activities of chapter 2. ;)
I concur.
EricSowell

Re: [Dickey] Group Progress

Post by EricSowell »

We've now had 3 weeks for chapter 2, so it's about time we start on chapter 3. I, however, won't be ready for a couple days (it has been a few busy weeks for me). We can move on anyway and I can get caught up, but full analyses for ch 2 haven't been posted yet, so I'm guessing we're not ready yet. So I guess we'll extend for a few more days

I plan on posting my analyses for chapter 2 in the next two or three days.
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

EricSowell wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 8:11 am We've now had 3 weeks for chapter 2, so it's about time we start on chapter 3. I, however, won't be ready for a couple days (it has been a few busy weeks for me). We can move on anyway and I can get caught up, but full analyses for ch 2 haven't been posted yet, so I'm guessing we're not ready yet. So I guess we'll extend for a few more days

I plan on posting my analyses for chapter 2 in the next two or three days.
I just finished the analysis section of chapter 2. I tried to follow the instructions from chapter 6 and from Appendix C on how to perform the analysis. I didn't follow the "name that rule" instruction at all. It just doesn't stick for me that way.

I'm just beginning to read chapter 3. By the way, I looked forward to chapter 5 the other, and it's gonna get interesting.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

I'm just well behind in every aspect of my life :)

But I have the advantage of having done several chapters of this book already, so I'm hopeful of joining back in the fun soon.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Seumas Macdonald wrote: September 9th, 2019, 6:56 am I'm just well behind in every aspect of my life :)

But I have the advantage of having done several chapters of this book already, so I'm hopeful of joining back in the fun soon.
Hey, Seumas. A little off-track, but I just saw your LGPSI yesterday. Have you passed it through competent editors to get corrections?
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

Not in the sense that a competent editor has deliberately and systematically reviewed it, no.

But the whole project is essentially an Alpha release. And a work in progress. And open to input and corrections from anyone, so feel free to send me your own. But if you catch "bad Greek" from it, well, I take responsibility but not blame.
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Just got through the reading and vocab for ch 3.
Will start exercises tomorrow hopefully.

Thx
D
Sanji81

Post by Sanji81 »

Hi everyone and nice to meet you all.

My name's Daniele, I'm from Italy and I currently live in Japan. I started studying Ancient Greek a few years ago and I've recently bought Dickey's textbook.

While searching for the exercises' keys on the web I've stepped into this extremely useful collection of answers: I was thus wondering if I may contribute by extending the current threads to chapters 5 onwards (I didn't want to start opening threads of my own free will, so I thought it'd be better to ask first).

Thank you in advance: it's a real pleasure to join your great community.

Return to “Eleanor Dickey: Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose”