Antiquities 1:78

Other Greek writings of the New Testament era, including papyri and inscriptions
Forum rules
Please quote the Greek text you are discussing directly in your post if it is reasonably short - do not ask people to look it up. This is not a beginner's forum, competence in Greek is assumed.
Matthew Longhorn

Antiquities 1:78

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

ἦν δ̓ ἡ λάρναξ τούς τε τοίχους καρτερὰ καὶ τὸν ὄροφον, ὡς μηδαμόθεν ἐπικλύζεσθαι μηδ̓ ἡττᾶσθαι τῆς τοῦ ὕδατος βίας

I am puzzled as to how the two accusative fit in here, I can’t see a verb that they could be governed by unless I am somehow to take them as the subjects of the infinitive in the next clause, which doesn’t seem right.

Any ideas?
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Antiquities 1:78

Could it be an accusative of respect, "the ark, with respect to the walls and roof"?
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: November 10th, 2020, 3:42 pm Could it be an accusative of respect, "the ark, with respect to the walls and roof"?
Yes, but construed with the adjective καρτερά ("strong in its walls and roof").
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks
Matthew Longhorn

I don't have access to some of my grammars, I was wondering why someone may use an accusative of respect rather than a dative of respect.
I see that there was a shift towards the dative during the koine period, is there any kind of difference in meaning between the two constructions?
Stephen Carlson

Post by Stephen Carlson »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: November 11th, 2020, 10:54 am I don't have access to some of my grammars, I was wondering why someone may use an accusative of respect rather than a dative of respect.
I see that there was a shift towards the dative during the koine period, is there any kind of difference in meaning between the two constructions?
There's a certain division of labor. The accusative of respect is most seen with body parts or things that are analogous to body parts. There are some others; consult Smyth for more details.
Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D.
Melbourne, Australia
Matthew Longhorn

Thanks, when I next have access to Smyth I will give it a read
S Walch

Post by S Walch »

Matthew Longhorn wrote: November 13th, 2020, 3:56 am Thanks, when I next have access to Smyth I will give it a read
It's online at Perseus :)

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0007

Accusative of Respect:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D91

Return to “Koine Greek Texts”