Where Are Your Keys' Universal Speed Curriculum

Ben Clark

Re: Where Are Your Keys' Universal Speed Curriculum

Post by Ben Clark »

We have now run the game for two class periods, but the game only went for about 20 minutes or so each time. The second time we basically began again since there was a new member, so we have not yet completed the script that I have posted earlier.
Paul-Nitz wrote: February 26th, 2017, 7:08 am
Thirdly, After you try this out, I'd like to specifically know how it went with introducing the three genders right from the start.
I think part of the difficulty in our play this far is the fact that I am trying to introduce all three genders. I am modifying my plan for next class to include 3 objects:
τὸ ποτήριον
τὸ βιβλίον
τὸ δήναριον
I bought a cheap replica δήναριον to use for the class. I want to see how this changes the flow. The thought is to stick with responses that match τί ἐστιν τοῦτο; τοῦτό ἐστιν ___ until I introduce he/she. At that point I will introduce the other genders. I am really enjoying sharing Greek in this way (and practicing it myself). Thanks for all your help in this!
Ben Clark

Post by Ben Clark »

This is an updated script for the parts that I am using now. I have been through this section with two different groups and like the flow of things so far.

A cup, a letter, and a rock are laid out on the table in a circle.
TECHNIQUE (explain the rules of the game)
COPYCAT (get everyone to copy what I do and say in the game)
FULL (show up front that whenever you have had enough, call full to take a break)
HOW FASCINATING (what to do when you make a 'mistake' or understand something)
AGAIN (how to ask for something to be repeated)

What is That?

COPYCAT
τί ἐστιν τοῦτο; [What is this?]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον. [This is the cup.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον. [This is the book.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον. [This is the denarius.]

CRAIGSLIST Make Me Say Yes: ναί, καλῶς, ἀληθός
COPYCAT
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον; ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον. [Is this the cup? Yes, this is the cup.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον; ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον. [Is this the book? Yes, this is the book.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον; ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον. [Is this the denarius? Yes, this is the denarius.]

CRAIGSLIST Make Me Say No: οὐχί, οὐ, μή, κακός
COPYCAT
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον; οὐχί, τοῦτο οὐκ ἔστιν τὸ δηνάριον. τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον. [Is this the denarius? No, this is not the denarius. This is the cup.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον; οὐχί, τοῦτο οὐκ ἔστιν τὸ ποτήριον. τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον. [Is this the cup? No, this is not the cup. This is the book.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον; οὐχί, τοῦτο οὐκ ἔστιν τὸ βιβλίον. τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον. [Is this the book? No, this is not the book. This is the denarius.]
Ben Clark

Post by Ben Clark »

This is the next section that I am working on.

LOTUS (a setup technique using INNER CIRCLE, ANGELS, LUNATIC FRINGE)
INNER CIRCLE (a small number of people, here 4, that are doing the interacting)
ANGELS (the next circle of people, helping the INNER CIRCLE with what they should say)
LUNATIC FRINGE (everyone else that is watching/participating as much as they can)
Using the FULL technique, these positions can be dynamic with those getting FULL taking a break while others take their place in the INNER CIRCLE.

CATS OUT OF THE BAG (a technique used to teach a question or answer before needed and then prompting the response at the correct time)

Mine/Yours

SET UP Remove the book and denarius and make sure each player in the INNER CIRCLE has a cup.
CRAIGSLIST Mine/Yours (Point/Poke to indicate person and Slap to indicate ownership): ἐγώ μοῦ, σύ σοῦ
COPYCAT
(each pointing to their own cup) τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον μου; ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον μου. [Is this my cup? Yes, this is my cup.]
(each pointing to their own cup) τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον σου; οὐχί, τοῦτο οὐκ ἔστιν τὸ ποτήριον σου. τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον μου. [Is this your cup? No this is not your cup. This is my cup.]

SET UP Go back to cup (in front of me), book, denarius
CATS OUT OF THE BAG (model the question to ask)
COPYCAT 3 TIMES: τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον σου;
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
(everyone but me) τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ ποτήριον σου; [Is this your cup?]
ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν το ποτήριον μου. [Yes, this is my cup.]

CATS OUT OF THE BAG (model the answer to the question)
COPYCAT 3 TIMES (the person with the book): τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον μου. [This is my book.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον σου; [Is this your book?]
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
(the person with the book) ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ βιβλίον μου. [Yes, this is my book.]

CATS OUT OF THE BAG (model the answer to the question)
COPYCAT 3 TIMES (the person with the denarius): τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον μου. [This is my denarius.]
τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον σου; [Is this your denarius?]
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
(the person with the denarius) ναί, τοῦτό ἐστιν τὸ δηνάριον μου. [Yes, this is my denarius.]
Ben Clark

Post by Ben Clark »

This is the current experimental section.

Have/Want

CRAIGSLIST Have/Want: ἔχω, θέλω
SETUP Each person in INNER CIRCLE has only a cup
COPYCAT
ἐγὼ ἔχω ποτήριον. [I have a cup.]
σὺ ἔχεις ποτήριον. [You have a cup.]

CATS OUT OF THE BAG
COPYCAT 3 TIMES ἐγὼ ἔχω ποτήριον. [I have a cup.]
τίς ἔχει ποτήριον; [Who has a cup?]
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
ἐγὼ ἔχω ποτήριον. [I have a cup.]

SETUP Replace cups with one cup (in front of me), book, and denarius
τίς ἐστιν ὁ ἔχων τὸ ποτήριον; [Who is the one with the cup?]
ἐγὼ ἔχω τὸ ποτήριον. [I have the cup.]

CATS OUT OF THE BAG
COPYCAT 3 TIMES (person with the book) ἐγὼ ἔχω τὸ βιβλίον. [I have the book.]
τίς ἐστιν ὁ ἔχων τὸ βιβλίον; [Who is the one with the book?]
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
(person with the book) ἐγὼ ἔχω τὸ βιβλίον. [I have the book.]
ναί, σὺ ἔχεις τὸ βιβλίον. [Yes, you have the book.]

CATS OUT OF THE BAG
COPYCAT 3 TIMES (person with the denaruis) ἐγὼ ἔχω τὸ δηνάριον. [I have the denarius.]
τίς ἐστιν ὁ ἔχων τὸ δηνάριον; [Who is the one with the denarius?]
CATS OUT OF THE BAG
(person with the denaruis) ἐγὼ ἔχω τὸ δηνάριον. [I have the denarius.]
ναί, σὺ ἔχεις τὸ δηνάριον. [Yes, you have the denarius.]
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

This looks good to me - correct and useful. And it is extremely useful to post it here, you are saving others lots of time. I expect I will be adapting some of your lessons for my own use in class.
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/
Seumas Macdonald

Post by Seumas Macdonald »

Ben,

I'm interested in why you went for the participial structure for "the one having the cup", rather than using a dative or a relative pronoun. Not because I think it's necessarily wrong, just the logic of your choice intrigues me.

Seumas
Seumas Macdonald, Ph.D.
Sydney, Australia
Ben Clark

Post by Ben Clark »

Seumas Macdonald wrote: April 6th, 2017, 7:11 am Ben,

I'm interested in why you went for the participial structure for "the one having the cup", rather than using a dative or a relative pronoun. Not because I think it's necessarily wrong, just the logic of your choice intrigues me.

Seumas
There are two parts to my thinking here. First, since I am presenting these games in the context of a 1st John class, early on I looked for some of the easier sentences as targets for the lessons. One of the first was:
1 John 5:12 wrote:ὁ ἔχων τὸν Υἱὸν ἔχει τὴν ζωήν· ὁ μὴ ἔχων τὸν Υἱὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ τὴν ζωὴν οὐκ ἔχει.
So I wanted to get the ὁ ἔχων ___ soon in the game.

Second, in doing a quick search on what kinds of phrases go with τίς, I found many examples of τίς ἐστιν ὁ ___, so I decided to try it out.

If there are other paths in getting to the Have/Want/Give/Take part of the game, I would love to hear about them. I am hoping to get quickly to those transactions, after which I will expand the Mine/Yours (ἐγώ μου, σύ σου) to (ἐγώ μου, σύ σου, οὗτος αὐτου) and then expand the τό objects with ὁ ones. We don't have any ladies in the class so I will just have to put ἡ objects in there some later time. Trying to limit the number of new things in each step is a big part of WAYK and I am having fun experimenting with this.
Jonathan Robie

Post by Jonathan Robie »

τοῦτ᾿ ἔστιν τὸ ποτήριον. [This is the cup.]
I'm afraid I convinced you to make a mistake and made the same mistake in some materials I was producing.

This should be τοῦτό ἔστιν τὸ ποτήριον. You had it right the first time, my "correction" was wrong.

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3643
ἐξίσταντο δὲ πάντες καὶ διηποροῦντο, ἄλλος πρὸς ἄλλον λέγοντες, τί θέλει τοῦτο εἶναι;
http://jonathanrobie.biblicalhumanities.org/

Return to “Teaching Methods”