English-Koine Greek Lexicon

Resources and techniques for teaching Greek composition
Friedrich de Wet

English-Koine Greek Lexicon

Post by Friedrich de Wet »

Hallo

I'm teaching my wife Greek and want to write her stories that are on her level. Sometimes I struggle to get a word and have to go through a long process of thinking where I read the word in the New Testament or the Old Testament and then look it up in the Greek texts. Is an online lexicon available that searches from English to Koine Greek? Or perhaps a hardcopy that I can acquire?

I would love for her to wrote me stories as well and such a resource would help out both of us.
Jason Hare

Re: English-Koine Greek Lexicon

Post by Jason Hare »

It is not exactly Koine, but you might start with Woodhouse's dictionary, which is online here.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Friedrich de Wet

Post by Friedrich de Wet »

Great! Thank you very much.

Is there a something like a Koine chatroom? I would love to practice my writing.
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

I'm not sure what you mean here exactly. This forum here viewforum.php?f=61 is intended for people who want to write in Greek and get some feedback. I am currently working through John Lee's book on accenting. Once I'm done with that it's on to Dickey's composition book in earnest. Then I plan to also post bits here for critique. I have one item I want to post but I haven't had time to do the writing yet.

I was thinking the other night that some sort of site dedicated to Koine writing practice would be nice to set up. Apart from this forum though I don't know of anything like it.

Thx
D
Devenios Doulenios

Post by Devenios Doulenios »

χαιρετε, Φριδερικε και γυναι σου!

Friedrich, there is an occasional Ancient Greek chat on Facebook although I haven't tried it. I'll look up the details and send you a PM.

One of our fellow B-Greekers and I chat in Koine by typing on Google Hangouts about once a month. I would be glad to do that with you as well. I'll send you my email in a PM.

Ερρωσο,
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος
Dewayne Dulaney
Dewayne Dulaney
Δεβένιος Δουλένιος

Blog: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/

"Ὁδοὶ δύο εἰσί, μία τῆς ζωῆς καὶ μία τοῦ θανάτου."--Διδαχή Α, α'
Jason Hare

Post by Jason Hare »

Daniel Semler wrote: April 12th, 2019, 9:04 am I was thinking the other night that some sort of site dedicated to Koine writing practice would be nice to set up. Apart from this forum though I don't know of anything like it.
We used to operate a group for Greek communication on Schole, but the site is now gone.

You can certainly find a group like this on Facebook, as has been mentioned. That's probably your best bet. Of course, the link here on B-Greek's forum might also be useful to you. As long as you're earnest and make an effort, people will assist you in moving forward with your study of the language.
Jason A. Hare
The Hebrew Café
Tel Aviv, Israel
Daniel Semler

Post by Daniel Semler »

Yeah I went looking for skole the other day and found it was gone.

Thx
D

Return to “Teaching Greek Composition”