Varner - Philippians: An Exegetical Commentary

Lexicons, Grammars, Reading Guides, History, Culture, and Background
Matthew Longhorn

Varner - Philippians: An Exegetical Commentary

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

https://www.fontespress.com/product/ph ... ommentary/
This concise commentary focuses on the Greek text of Philippians, giving special attention to lexical semantics, syntax, and discourse. Interacting with the latest translations and Greek lexicons, as well as the best of commentators, Varner provides a straightforward exegesis of the Greek text. Ideal for those preparing to preach or teach Philippians, this focused and rich commentary will become a favorite to consult first.
Endorsements
In an age of increasing Biblical illiteracy, one trend in commentaries of late is to not deal with the details of grammar, syntax, and Greek vocabulary sufficiently to make clear Paul’s meaning in a letter like Philippians. Presumably, this approach is meant to simplify things for the language-challenged readers. Happily, William Varner’s commentary on Philippians is the exception to this rule. If you want to know not only what Paul said to the Philippians but what he actually meant, Varner’s sane and helpful contribution will shed light on this much beloved and much belabored letter.

Ben Witherington, III, Amos Professor of NT for Doctoral Studies, Asbury Theological Seminary

This revised edition of Varner’s exegetical commentary on Philippians is highly recommended to scholars and students of Scripture. Leaving most introductory issues to other commentaries, Varner focuses on the linguistic features of the letter. His introduction to discourse analysis is particularly helpful to those unfamiliar with that discipline. Readers wishing to explore the language of a particular text are rewarded with a rich and nuanced discussion. The Glossary provides helpful definitions of the technical vocabulary of linguistics. Consulting this commentary is a must to understand the message of this small but important Pauline “epistle of joy.”

Mark Wilson, Director, Asia Minor Research Center, Antalya, Turkey
Matthew Longhorn

Re: Varner - Philippians: An Exegetical Commentary

Post by Matthew Longhorn »

I asked Dr Varner on facebook what the difference between this edition is and his previous edition. He responded (publicly so I feel it is ok to share here
“This is a revised edition of an exegetical commentary on Philippians published privately. This edition has allowed me to benefit from several volumes that have appeared in recent years. The English third edition of Montonari’s Greek-Italian dictionary now titled The Brill Dictionary of Ancient Greek (GE, 2015) has been particularly helpful in both affirming and revising my comments on many important lexemes. Mathewson and Emig’s Intermediate Greek Grammar (ME, 2016) has also been useful in some important syntactical discussions. I have benefited from the new Tyndale House edition of the Greek New Testament (2017) and have strengthened some of my earlier text critical observations and added a few others. I have updated the bibliography and added a “summary” of each pericope in Philippians before my analysis of its Greek clauses. A few “expository” comments have also been included at the end of the four chapters with additional semantic references. These additions have made the analysis of the Greek text more helpful also as a commentary. I am also pleased that this commentary is the first to include the English text of Philippians from the Legacy Standard Bible (2021). ... It follows the practice of the NASB of capitalizing OT quotations.”

Return to “Books”