Paul O'Rear

Please introduce yourself here, if you haven't already.
paorear

Paul O'Rear

Post by paorear »

Hello folks – I have been in and out of this list/forum over the last ~17 years, primarily as a lurker. I know I've had exchanges with a few of you over the years.

Here is some of my background and interests:
  • I've been a student of Koine Greek for roughly 27 years
  • I have "just" a B.A. in Religion. My focus was biblical languages, which consisted of 4 years of Koine Greek and 1 year of Hebrew
  • I did the standard SIL studies in Linguistics and Translation, etc. to become a Wycliffe Bible Translator
  • I spent 6 years in Papua New Guinea with SIL/Wycliffe doing language survey work and starting a translation project before leaving due to my son's health issues
  • I developed a very early (~1993?) Windows Help (WinHelp) based version of the Greek NT - "HyperGNT" for SIL, developing my own Greek font and converting Friberg's Analytical Greek NT from Standard Format (SFM) markup text files.
  • I contributed to the design and direction and development of SIL's early Translator's Workplace Original Language tools for translators (I'm not sure it's changed much over the years!)
  • I was the primary driver for the design, requirements and direction of SIL's Biblical Analysis Research Tool (BART), which has been used heavily by a number of folk on this forum
  • I also contributed to the development and design of SIL's Greek and Hebrew KeyMan keyboards for entering Greek and Hebrew text, as well as to the design of some of SIL's initial Greek and Hebrew font offerings
  • Mostly I have been spending my primary "work" time in commercial software development since leaving SIL in '97 (currently at Microsoft)
  • Passionate about the promise of applying current Linguistic methodologies and approaches to Greek to reduce barriers to the truth in God's Word, whether for personal, exegetical, or translation purposes
  • Incredibly excited by Steve Runge's milestone Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament volume as an example of the above
  • Most recently have been enjoying working through Randy Buth's first Living Koine Greek volume – identifying with a comment in his Frequently Asked Questions section of his first volume about the frustration of spending some 25 years studying a language and essentially not being able to pray a simple prayer or fluently communicate basic messages in it - without preparation time of minutes to hours
I'm currently trying to find a way to return to work I began on BART and Translator's Workplace, and in the meantime am simply working on connecting with lovers of Greek. I was happy to attend SBL this last November and meet a few folk from this list. I only noticed a few weeks ago that for some reason my B-Greek messages had stopped coming in and just found out about the move to this wonderful new forum!

I suppose I'm now an "independent scholar". :)

Glad to be joining the B-Greek ranks again!
Paul O'Rear
Bob Nyberg

Re: Paul O'Rear

Post by Bob Nyberg »

Gude Wantok,

Mi amamas long taim mi ritim dispela stori bilong yu! Yu bin stap we long Papua Niu Gini?

Bob
paorear

Post by paorear »

Olsem wanem, bras! Mi stap gut.

Mi bin i stap long Ukarumpa long EHP na Morehead long Western Province. Longpela taim i go pinis. Mipela larim (?) PNG i stap long 1994.

Em tasol. :)

Paul O'Rear
Paul O'Rear
Ruth Mathys

Post by Ruth Mathys »

Mipela ol Ukarumpa lain tok gude long papa bilong BART!

Ruth Mathys
paorear

Post by paorear »

Em nau! Tenkyu tru! :)
Paul O'Rear

Return to “Introductions”