Epistle to Diogenetus

Stirling Bartholomew

Epistle to Diogenetus

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » June 30th, 2020, 3:32 pm

Diog. 2:1 Ἄγε δή, καθάρας σεαυτὸν ἀπὸ πάντων τῶν προκατεχόντων σου τὴν διάνοιαν λογισμῶν, καὶ τὴν ἀπατώσάν σε συνήθειαν ἀποσκευασάμενος, καὶ γενόμενος ὥσπερ ἐξ ἀρχῆς καινὸς ἄνθρωπος, ὡς ἂν καὶ λόγου καινοῦ, καθάπερ καὶ αὐτὸς ὡμολόγησας, ἀκροατὴς ἐσόμενος· ἴδε μὴ μόνον τοῖς ὀφθαλμοῖς ἀλλὰ καὶ τῇ φρονήσει τίνος ὑποστάσεως ἢ τίνος εἴδους τυγχάνουσιν οὓς ἐρεῖτε καὶ νομίζετε θεούς

Diog. 2:1   Come, then, clear your mind of all its prejudices and cast aside the custom that deceives you, and become a new man, as it were, from the beginning, as if you were about to hear a new message, even as you yourself admit. See not only with your eyes but also with your intellect what substance or what form those whom you call and regard as gods happen to have.

Copyright ©1992, 1999 by Michael W. Holmes

Epistle to Diogenetus employs some intermediate level syntax. This sample is good exercise for study of the participle. You might wonder if you are ever going to find a finite verb. I had some fun with it, comparing it to the habits of Athanasius.
0 x

C. Stirling Bartholomew

Stirling Bartholomew

Re: Epistle to Diogenetus

Post by Stirling Bartholomew » July 7th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Diog. 4:1 Ἀλλὰ μὴν τό γε περὶ τὰς βρώσεις αὐτῶν ψοφοδεές, καὶ τὴν περὶ τὰ σάββατα δεισιδαιμονίαν, καὶ τὴν τῆς περιτομῆς ἀλαζονείαν, καὶ τὴν τῆς νηστείας καὶ νουμηνίας εἰρωνείαν, καταγέλαστα καὶ οὐδενὸς ἄξια λόγου «οὐ» νομίζω σε χρῄζειν παρ᾿ ἐμοῦ μαθεῖν.

But with regard to their qualms about meats, and superstition concerning the Sabbath, and pride in circumcision, and hypocrisy about fasting and new moons, I doubt that you need to learn from me that they are ridiculous and not worth discussing.

— M. W. Holmes 1992
Twice in immediate proximity the author places a prepositional phrase in attributive position between the article and its substantive. Nothing remarkable about the syntax other than immediate repetition. The second sample being simplified. I looked at lots of similar samples and didn't manage to stumble upon any more examples like this.
0 x
C. Stirling Bartholomew

Return to “Church Fathers and Patristic Greek Texts”