[b-greek] Re: 1 Tim. 2:4 --> PANTAS ANQRWPOUS

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 22 2001 - 23:33:07 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/01 9:30:32 PM, wayne_leman@sil.org writes:

<< Mark, it seems to me that the matter can also be turned around this way:

Unless the immediate context determines otherwise, PANTAS ANQRWPOUS is to be

understood to mean "everyone" (where the context is inclusive of both

females and males) or "all men" (where only men are referred to).

I personally find nothing in the context of 1 Tim. 2:4 to indicate that the

lexical meaning of PANTAS ANQRWPOUS is anything other than "everyone". For

those who believe in limited atonement (or other limitations on PANTAS

here), there is still the hermeneutical out here in the verb QELEI, if we

allow for the philosophical distinction between what God desires to happen

and what he causes to happen.

One further thought: I don't think I have yet heard in this thread the fact

that in a number of passages in the NT, PANTAS is hyperbolic, e.g.

Matt. 2:3 PASA hIEROSOLUMA

Mark 1:5 PASA hH IOUDDIA XWRA KAI hOI hEROSOLUMITAI PANTES

Mark 1:37 PANTES ZHTOUSIN SE

I see no exegetical, contextual hint of hyperbole in 1 Tim. 2:4, howerver,

but we should *always, at all times* <g> be alert to the possibility of

hyperbole with PANTAS.

Wayne

----- >>

What about PANTWN ANQRWPWN in 1 Tim 2:1-2. It may be referring to all without
distinction rather than all without exception, since he mentions "for kings
and all who are in authority" hUPER BASILEWN KAI PANTWN TWN EN hUPEROCHi
ONTWN. Is Paul actually urging people to pray for every person without
exception, or is he instruction us to pray for all kinds of people, i.e.,

kings, regional governors, etc. This verse may influence the meaning of
PANTAS in v. 4.

Charles E. Powell, Ph.D.
9749 Burney Dr
Dallas, TX 75243