The Breakthrough Developed
1. 3d Armd Div Ltr of Instrs, 26 Jul (confirming oral orders issued by the corps commander on the evening of 25 July).
2. FUSA Outline Plan COBRA, 13 Jul; VII Corps FO 6 (rev), 20 Jul; 3d Armd Div Amendment to FO 4, 20 Jul; Ltr, Destruction of Bridges, 22 Jul; Memo, 23 Jul (an extract of VII Corps Msg, 23 Jul); Ltr of Instrs, 24 Jul.
3. 3d Armd Div CCA AAR, Jul, and Warning Or der, 19 Jul; 3d Armd Div FO 4, 19 Jul, FO 5, 20 Jul, and G-3 Per Rpt 34, 28 Jul.
4. 3d Armd Div G-3 Per Rpt 33, 27 Jul.
5. FUSA Outline Plan COBRA, 13 Jul; VIII Corps FO 8, 15 Jul, and G-3 Sec Msg, 20 Jul, 8th Div G-3 Jnl File.
6. VIII Corps G-3 Per Rpt, 25 Jul, and Amendment 1 to FO 8, 15 Jul; Gen Bd Arty Rpt, App. C, Arty Support in Opn COBRA.
7. VIII Corps FO 8, 15 Jul, and Annex 2 (Overlay), and G-3 Sec Memo, 18 Jul.
8. Gen Bd Arty Rpt, App. C; VIII Corps AAR, Jul, and Amendment 1 to FO 8, 17 Jul; Arty Rpt, 26 Jul; 4th Armd Div G-3 Per Rpt 7, 24 Jul; Annex 4 (Arty) to 8th Div FO 4, 16 Jul.
9. 709th Tk Bn and 28th Inf AARs, Jul; 8th Div G-3 Jnl, 26 Jul.
10. Telecon, Middleton and Macon, 2100, 26 Jul, 83d Div G-2, G-3 Jnl and File; VIII Corps Arty Per Rpt, 26 Jul.
11. VIII Corps G-2 Est 4, 15 Jul.
12. Telecon, Middleton and Macon, 2100, 26 Jul, 83d Div G-2, G-3 Jnl and File.
13. VIII Corps Fragmentary Orders, 1815 and 2050, 26 Jul, VIII Corps G-3 Jnl; Msg, 2130, 26 Jul, 8th Div G-3 Jnl.
14. 79th Div AAR, Jul, FO 7, 19 Jul, and G-3 Jnl, 26 Jul; Wyche Diary; VIII Corps G-2 Per Rpt 43, 27 Jul.
15. 8th Div G-3 Jnl, entry 1542, 27 Jul; VIII Corps Msg, 1415, 27 Jul, FUSA G-3 Jnl.
16. 375th Inf Jnl, 27 Jul.
17. 83d Div G-3 Per Rpt 31, 27 Jul, and G-2, G-3 Jnl, 27 Jul.
18. VIII Corps G-2 Per Rpt 43, 27 Jul, and G-3 Per Rpt 43, 28 Jul.
19. VIII Corps Msg, 1515, 28 Jul; 83d Div G-2, G-3 Jnl, entry 1620, 28 Jul; ETOUSA Engr Hist Rpt 10, Combat Engineering, Aug 45, pp. 35, 36; Hosp Intervs, IV, GL-93 (317); XV Corps G-3 Memo, Cont at G-3 Office, Hq Third U.S. Army, 281600 Jul, 29 Jul, XV Corps G-3 Jnl and File.
20. 79th Div and VIII Corps AAR's Jul; Wyche Diary.
21. 2d Armd Div FO 3 (Rev 1), 20 Jul, and Annex 3 to FO 3, 18 Jul.
22. 2d Armd Div G-3 Jnl, entries 1735, 26 Jul, 0859 and 1405, 27 Jul, and Msg, 0030, 27 Jul 30th Div G-3 Jnl and File.
23. 2d Armd Div G-3 Jnl, entries 1454 and 1600, 27 Jul.
24. Ltr, Collins to Hechler, 13 Nov 45, quoted in Hechler, VII Corps in Opn COBRA, p. 188.
25. The following account is based on [Pillsbury], 2d Armored Div in Opn COBRA, pp. 47-66; Hechler, VII Corps in Opn COBRA, pp. 187-216; 2d Armd Div AAR, Jul.
26. Bayerlein's Est of the Situation, 2215, 27 Jul, AGp B Op. Befehle; see also Liddell Hart, The Rommel Papers, p. 490, and MS # A-973 (Schmidt).
27. MS # A-984 (Mahlmann).
28. Telecons, Pemsel and Tempelhoff, 0845, 28 Jul, Helmdach and Tempelhoff, 1555, 28 Jul, and Hoehne and Zimmerman, 1030, 28 Jul, in AGp B KTB; MS # A-984 (Mahlmann); MS # B-839 (Heydte); MS # P-195 (Wisliceny).
29. Choltitz, Soldat Unter Soldaten, p. 209; 17th SS Engr Bn KTB, 28 Jul; MS # P-139 (Stueckler); Sitrep, 29 Jul, in AGp B Tagesmeldungen.
30. Choltitz, Soldat Unter Soldaten, p. 208; see MS # B-179 (Hausser).
31. Telecons, Kluge and Hausser, 2000 and 2130, 28 Jul, and Pemsel and Tempelhoff, 2000, 28 Jul, AGp B KTB; see MS # b-179 (Hausser) for a candid account of the command confusion and the conflicting orders.
32. S. Sgt. James J. Cermak of the 41st Armored Infantry Regiment was awarded the DSC for heroism.
33. AAF III, 242; VII Corps AAR, Jul; First U.S. Army, Report of Operations, I, 107; FUSA G-2 Per Rpt 50, 30 Jul.
34. Lt. Col. Wilson D. Coleman of the 41st Armored Infantry, who was killed while rallying his troops, and S. Sgt. William B. Kolosky of the Division Reserve headquarters, who organized and led a group of heterogeneous headquarters personnel in a defensive position, were awarded the DSC.
35. Among those killed was Capt. Naubert O. Simard, Jr., who manned an exposed machine gun though he knew that to do so was certain death. Captain Simard was posthumously awarded the DSC.
36. Sgt. Whittington received the Medal of Honor.
37. Ltr, Collins to Hechler, quoted in Hechler, VII Corps in Opn COBRA, p. 216; [Pillsbury], 2d Armored Div in Opn COBRA, p. 85; VII Corps AAR, Jul.
38. MS # P-159 (Heydte).
39. AGp B KTB, 30 Jul.