Re: [seedsavers] Where is everyone?

Here's a few - in no particular order - to get you started. Definitely
not a comprehensive list but just enough to whet your appetite.
Alarmingly, some of the best are no longer with us.

Native Seed/SEARCH - Southwestern/Mexican vegetables, including beans,
squash, corn and chilis: http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/default.php

Baker's Creek - Founded by a teenage heirloom enthusiast. Some
peppers, tomatoes, every other sort of vegetable:
http://rareseeds.com/

Sandhill Preservation Center - Glenn Drown's "hobby farm" (Glenn is
also a full-time teacher) dedicated to genetic preservation, offers
vegetable seeds including a huge selection of tomatoes, also sweet
potatoes, as well as historic breeds of poultry. And something else
that I forget. This one is truly worthy of supporting. Does business
the old-fashioned way: http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

Marianna's Heirloom Tomatoes - haven't ordered from her for a while,
but a great source of tomato and sweet and hot pepper seeds:
http://www.mariseeds.com/2005catalog/sweetpeppers.html

Solana Seeds - Canadian company, very nice selection of garden seed.
Heavy on tomatoes and peppers. Unique and hard to find offerings.
Quick service: http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/welcome.html

Scheeper's Kitchen Garden Seeds - a bit pricey, but has a few things
that are hard to find elsewhere. Nice recipes:
http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com/

Evergreen Seeds - Wide selection of asian vegetables. Good prices,
great service: http://www.evergreenseeds.com/vegetableseeds.html

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange - Nice selection of all sorts of garden seeds:
http://www.southernexposure.com/index.html

Seeds of Change - Nice selection of organic heirloom garden seeds:
http://www.seedsofchange.com/default.asp

Bountiful Gardens - Wide selection of open-pollinated edibles,
medicinal herbs. Rare and unique offerings. John Jeavon's (author, How
to Grow More Vegetables (and fruit, nuts, berries, grains and other
crops) than you ever thought possible on less land than you can
imagine)organization: http://www.bountifulgardens.org/

Seeds from Italy - American distributor of primarily Franchi Sementi
seeds. Mostly Italian heirloom vegetables with some other European
varieties thrown in. Seeds come in very, very generous European
quantities, very unlike the anemic ones produced on this side of the
Atlantic. Very wide selection, many of which are not widely available
here. Some hybrids, but primarily heirloom/op. Worth the money:
http://www.growitalian.com/

Sandy Mush Herb Nursery - extensive listing of herbs:
http://www.sandymushherbs.com/index.html

Before ordering from any company, it's a good thing to check The
Garden Watchdog where people who have transacted business go to rate
their interactions with various companies:

Warning about pepper seed vendor: Reimers appears to have a very nice
website with an extremely wide selection of peppers, including a huge
selection of the very rare and unique. However, conversation on the
various gardening groups for years reveal that the company gets very
bad marks for poor customer service, failure to ship, poor germination
rates of their seed, and the contention that many of their seeds are
not true to type. Recent postings to the Garden Watchdog confirm that
these things are still an issue with this company. If you are looking
for pepper seeds, this company WILL pop up in your google search. It
is recommended that you not order pepper seed from this vendor.

Elise