Subject: Re: ODBC interface

From: [email-masked] (Uwe Lesta)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 12:33:38 +0200

Stefano De Giorgi schrieb:
> 
> Hi,
> I need to access relational DBMS (MS-Access or Oracle) from SWI-Prolog,
> do you know if there exists a free ODBC interface for SWI-Prolog?

NO, as far as i know.

But there is an ODBC -Interface for SICS and Quintus Prolog
called ProData/ProDBI from "Rob Lucas and Keylink Computers Ltd."

Janusz Launberg from sicstus wrote in the sics mailing list about it :

> We have not used Prodata much in our projects. It's fair to say there are
> not many users of this product. There are, however, a few commercial users
> of ProData on Windows NT with the latest version of SICStus.  ProData is
> basically identical to ProDBI (ODBC version) for Quintus Prolog. One should
> expect that the performance of ProData/ProDBI may be a problem when high
> performance is required in heavy DB applications. Some of our Quintus
> Prolog customers had to interact with the relational database at the
> application level to meet performance requirements. 

I had tested it for a month. Not so bad especially on the first
prototypes.
But i need only to read the database. So i wrote some DB reports to a
db.pl
file and work with it. SWI-Polog consults such factbases very fast
(much faster as sics :-).

Generally i am interested too on an ODBC-Interface. 
So if someone like to ask "Rob Lucas" to get the sources for porting to
SWI-Prolog
(Perhaps SWI). I agree to do the work.
-- 

Regards

Uwe
[email-masked]