Subject: Announce: SWI-Prolog 3.3.0 beta-3 + xpce-5.0.7

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:36:01 +0100

Hi,

I uploaded SWI-Prolog 3.3.0 to

	ftp://swi.psy.uva.nl/pub/SWI-Prolog/BETA/

Manuals in

	ftp://swi.psy.uva.nl/pub/SWI-Prolog/refman3.3/

in source, Windows binary and Linux (SuSE  6.2) .rpm format. Best thing:
the ISO standard is now fully  covered, except for char_conversion/2 and
friends (it's not really clear to me why   one  would want that and what
exactly it is supposed to do).

Changes relative to beta#2 are below.

If you are using XPCE, there is a program in library(isocomp) that
performs a lot of tests on your program regarding compatibility of
pre-3.3 sources.  This applies notably to *_chars vs. *_codes and
character-escape sequences in Prolog (XPCE used to switch
character-escapes to `false', it doesn't do this any longer).

Comments welcome. Anyone played/playing with the threading support
(linux)?.

	Regards --- Jan

  * FIXED: Windows installation to add icons to the program manager

  * PORT: Win32: renamed console.dll to plterm.dll to avoid name-conflict
    with Windows 2000 system DLL.

  * PORT: HTML Manual: renamed Index.html to DocIndex.html and place
    the titlepage in index.html.  Should fix problems with systems 
    with case-insensitive files and without links (e.i. Windows).

  * ADDED: ISO predicates close/2, unify_with_occurs_check/2,
    stream_property/2, sub_atom/5.  Moved stream_position/3 and
    current_stream/3 from built-in to library(quintus).

  * FIXED: $term_complexity/2, which determines whether or not a term is
    too large to store as a toplevel variable.  Together with the other
    changes, the toplevel and debugger no longer crash on cyclic terms.

  * ADDED: {put,get,peek}_{byte,char,code}/[1,2] predicates, providing
    ISO compliant character I/O.

  * ADDED: write_term/[2,3] options `module' for defining the module
    from which to use operators and character_escapes to explicitly
    override character-escape handling.

  * FIXED: Don't set system-mode and hide-childs for already defined
    predicates (for XPCE's spypce/1 problems.  Reported by Peter Mott).

  * FIXED: handling portray(Bool) option of write_term/2.

  * ADDED: Prolog flags toplevel_print_options and debugger_print_options
    to control printing of answers and goals by the debugger.

  * ADDED: max_depth(D) option to write_term/[2,3] to limit the printing
    depth.

  * ADDED: `W' option to format/[2,3], providing access to write_term/2:
    e.g. format('~W', [Term, [quoted(true)]]).

  * FIXED: create include directory (Windows-build from the plain sources).
    Uwe Lesta.