Subject: Re: not sure if something's changed

From: Jan Wielemaker <jan>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:09:24 +0100 (MET)

> I have a very large prolog data file that I consult into a program...
> 
> mypl.pl compiled, 41.72 sec, 46,816,660 bytes.
> 
> however that was on pl-3.2.8
> 
> now under pl-3.3.0 beta 6
> its taking 2 times longer 
> 
> as I said I don't know if something's different.. it might just be my HD

Nothing serious as far as I can tell.  There are some small
performance degradations due to the implementation of the `logical
update-view' semantics, but that should not be more than a few percent
max.  Since that version there are also changes to read/1 to make it
reentrant for the multi-threaded version.  That might have slightly larger
consequences, but twice as long!?

If you use a different machine, be aware that reported CPU-time on Windows
(except for NT) is actually ellapsed time.

If you cannot trace the problem, I'd like to have your file to profile the
loading process.

	Regards --- Jan