Subject: SWI-Prolog 3.3.6

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 12:39:13 +0200

I've uploaded 3.3.6 to the usual places.  3.3.5 is no more then an
internal check-out in the repository before some drastic changes.

3.3.6 Changes:

	* Quite a few bugfixes, including some for 64-bit processors
	  and one for many RISC processors (including SPARC).

	* Serious rewrite choice-point handling in the virtual machine.
	  This results in a big speedup for the ->, ;, \+, etc
	  control primitives.  Normal clause non-determinism is a
	  bit slower though.  The result depends largely on your
	  programming style.  Internally counted Lips rate is generally
	  lower, but that is because it tends to count less
	  `inferences' :-)

	  The result is a much easier to understand VM, which will later	
	  be enhanced to deal with `persistent modules': modules whose
	  code reside in external files.

	* Updates the `packages' page and added two new packages:

		+ sgml2pl
		Read SGML, (HTML) and XML text (including XML
	        namespaces).  Fast and small.  As there is no
		clean and well working source-package installation
		on Windows, the Windows version has this package
		included (for now at least).

		This also includes a provisional RDF parser.  See
		the SWI-Prolog packages pages for an online
		demontration.	

		+ clib
		Fixed and improved cgi package to deal with multipart
		forms (the RDF stuff above includes sources for the
		CGI binding (Unix only, but for someone with relevant
		knowledge and experience portable to Windows, I guess).

	Regards --- Jan