Subject: interesting problem

From: "Lisa Cavanaugh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:33:00 GMT

This was a problem on a programming contest in which one of the categories 
was Prolog. It stumped our team but I'm still interested in finding a 
solution to it. Anyone?
Thanks,
Lisa

Joe is hosting a party of an international organization. Not everybody 
speaks the same language and some of them speak more than 1 language. He 
invited 10 guests and including himself he plans to have a ROUND TABLE 
CHATTING SESSION. To make everybody comfortable, he sets the following 
rules.

Everybody can have conversation with both people who sit next to him/her in 
some language.

No two females sit next to each other.

Information about the invitee and the host is as following:

     Joe,Chris,Emily,Heidi, and Isacc speaks in English.
     Beth,Gong, and Isacc can speak in French.
     Chris,Dongjoon,Fred, and Jane can speak in Korean
     Gong,Heidi,Jane and Kenny can speak in Chinese
     Beth,Emily,Heidi,Chris, and Jane are females.

     Find all possible seat arrangments starting with Joe. There are less 
than 5 unique solutions. HINT: Try on much simpler set of databases and 
debug your program using trace. Since there are 10! possible arrangements 
w/o any constraints, it may take time. For any case, you may assume that 
there are at least 3 people in the party.

________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com