Subject: Re: String Representation

From: Paul Sephton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:53:21 +0200 (GMT+0200)

Thanks, Jan- That helps immensely.  There really isn't a good case for 
strings at all (as a seperate type from atoms) under those circumstances, 
is there?

I suppose enumerating the atom table occurs infrequently enough not to be 
an issue.  What are the overheads associated with storing lists of 
characters or lists of single character atoms?  Is this a byte per 
character?  I don't suppose it could be since the hash key on an atom 
must be larger- or possibly you use the first 256 hash keys for 
storing characters and simply use offsets?

Again, thank you. Understanding those details helps toward efficient code.

Regards
Paul
_____________________________________________________________________________
Paul Sephton ([email-masked])                               INET Development
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ever wondered if jumping out of the frying pan might actually be refreshing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~