Subject: Annouce: SWI-Prolog 3.4.1 and XPCE 5.0.10

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:08:10 +0200

Hi,

I've uploaded new versions of both SWI-Prolog and XPCE.  Summary of
important changes:

SWI-Prolog 3.4.1
================

	* Changed the shutdown procedure for PLWIN.EXE, hopefully fixing
	crash problems on Windows 95 and 98.  It has been proved to work
	on only one machine.

	* Added PL_cleanup(), allowing to remove all trances of Prolog
	data from the process (stacks, allocated memory, memory maps,
	etc.).  PL_halt() is now simply PL_cleanup() followed by exit().

	* Some impovements to GC policy, reducing the change for
	recently reported out-of-stack errors while they could be
	avoided significantly.

	* Various problems in the multi-threaded version.

XPCE 5.0.10
===========

	* Writing images now supports JPEG as well as writing images
	to other source-sink objects than just files.  This way you
	can generate in-core image data from XPCE graphical objects,
	which is useful for ...

	* Experimental HTTP server class. See <pcehome>/prolog/lib/http.
	Lets XPCE easily serve web-pages, including on-the-fly generated
	graphics.  The server class deals with building and analysing
	HTTP headers, including (GET-)form data and standard replies
	(moved, not_found, etc).  There is a small demo included that
	allows you to look around in the XPCE classes.

	This library directory also includes html_write.pl, the N-th
	attempt to generate HTML pages in a clean way.  Based on
	expandable DCG translation from a structured term to the
	HTML text.

	* Added Bezier curves (both Quadratic and Cubic) to the
	graphical primitives

	* Class compiler now allows for :- pce_end_class(<Name>) as
	alternative to just :- pce_end_class.  This can make sources
	easier to read and allows for additional checking.
	
	* `node->for_all' and `node->for_some' now process the children
	before the node itself.  This allows for safe destruction of
	nodes in these methods.  If you have code relying on the old
	order this should be modified. Please contact
	[email-masked] if you have a case for keeping the
	old order.

	* Various minor bugs and additions.  Check the ChangeLog

	Regards --- Jan