Subject: CONF: UIST'92 Call for Papers (ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology)
From: [email-masked] (Pedro Szekely)
Date: 5 Feb 92 01:01:28 GMT

Crossposted from news.announce.conferences.  A conference from the folks
who brought you the infamous nasal interface device (and much more)...

    uu        uu  iiii    sssssss    tttttttttttt    9999999     22222222
    uu        uu   ii    sssssss ss  tttttttttttt   999999999  22222222222
    uu        uu   ii   sss               tt       99      99  22       22
    uu	      uu   ii    sssssss          tt        999999999          22
    uu        uu   ii     sssssss         tt         99999999        22
    uu	      uu   ii           sss       tt               99      22
    uu	      uu   ii           sss       tt               99    22
      uuuuuuuu     ii   ss ssssssss       tt         9999999    2222222222
       uuuuuu     iiii    ssssssss        tt         999999    22222222222

     Fifth Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology

	          Sponsored by ACM SIGGRAPH & SIGCHI
                 November, 1992, Monterey, California

            Paper and Panel submissions due on May 1, 1992

			 CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
			 ======================

UIST'92, the Fifth Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and
Technology, is the premier forum on innovative engineering of the
human-computer interface. The symposium brings together user-interface
researchers and practitioners with an interest in techniques, tools,
and technology for constructing quality, innovative user interfaces.
The intimate size, single track, and comfortable surroundings make
this symposium an ideal opportunity to exchange research results and
implemen- tation experiences. Papers and panel proposals are sought on
a wide range of user interface topics.

			       PAPERS
			       ======

Authors are encouraged to submit high-quality papers about research to
enhance user interface functionality or to improve the user interface
engineering process. Appropriate topics include but are not limited to:

- Techniques for advanced interaction functionality, such as
multimedia, innovative displays, unconventional input devices, and
highly interactive interfaces.

- Innovative software architectures for engineering user interfaces,
including those associated with user interface management systems,
window systems, toolkits and knowledge-based interfaces.

- Tools and techniques for designing, constructing and evaluating
user interfaces, including automated tools and object-oriented
techniques.

- Interfaces with special operating system requirements, such as
real-time, multi-user, multi-input, multi-threaded, and distributed
interfaces.

- Interfaces for difficult or challenging applications, such as large
and/or complex information sets.

- Interfaces for users with special needs.

- The internationalization of the interface.

Videotapes of implementations are encouraged.  We are exploring the
possibility of including video with the conference proceedings.
However, papers must stand on their own and will be reviewed
independently from submitted videotapes.

Submissions must present original research relevant to the symposium.
Papers should be at most 5000 words or 10 ACM conference pages.
Videotapes should be at most 8 minutes long.  The submission should
consist of 6 copies of a paper, 2 copies of a videotape (if there is
one), and a cover letter indicating the primary author's name,
affiliation, address, phone number and email address (if at all
possible). The title page should include an abstract (less than 200
words) and keywords. The cover letter should also indicate whether the
submitted video can be part of the proceedings. Contact the program
chair for an author's packet.

Submissions must be received by the program chair no later than May 1,
1992. FAX cannot be used for submission. Authors will be notified of
acceptance by July 14, 1992.

			       PANELS
			       ======

Panels offer an opportunity to exchange ideas in an atmosphere that
reflects the workshop origins of the symposium. Suggested topics are
the same as for submitted papers. Of special interest would be panels
about "success stories" - verifiably successful user interfaces and
the techniques and tools by which they were developed, and panels
about the use of computers for the elderly and the physically
disabled. We also encourage submissions from outside North America.

Panel selection will be based on the importance, originality, focus,
and timeliness of the topic, as well as the potential for informative
(and even controversial) discussion. Panels should have no more than
five members, including the chair, and should be planned to last from
one to one and-one-half hours. No more than half of the total time will
be allowed for position statements by panelists.

A panel proposal should be no more than two pages in length. It should
include:

- A description of the panel topic, including why this topic is
important to symposium attendees.

- A brief position statement of each panelist.

A cover sheet should include the panel title, length of time desired
for the panel, panelists' names and affiliations, and the panel
organizer's name, affiliation, address, e-mail address, and phone
number.

Submissions must be received by the panels chair no later than May 1,
1992. Authors will be notified of acceptance by July 14, 1992.  May 1,
1992

SYMPOSIUM CHAIR

Jock Mackinlay
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Rd.
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(415) 494-4335
FAX: (415) 494-4777
[email-masked]

PROGRAM CHAIR

Mark Green
Dept. of Computing Science
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, T6G 2H1, Canada
(403) 492-4584
FAX: (403) 492-1071
[email-masked]

PANELS CHAIR

Randy Pausch
Computer Science Department
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(804) 982-2211
[email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Alan Borning, University of Washington
Ellis Cohen, Open Software Foundation
Steve Feiner, Columbia University
Deborah Hix, Virginia Politechnic
Randy Pausch, University of Virginia
George Robertson, Xerox PARC
Piyawadee (Noi) Sukaviriya, Georgia Institute of Technology
Charles Wiecha, IBM T.J. Watson Research Ctr.