Subject: VR archive

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 May 92 13:10:41 EDT

Hello..

I am keeping a graphics archive in wuarchive.wustl.edu, so I took the
freedom to mirror your VR archive from milton.u.washigton.edu.  Let me know
if that's OK with you.

Being from RPI and from the center that is doing Virtual Environment
research, I noticed that the faq/schools/RPI file was out of date.  What
follows is a more up-to-date version.

Hope that helps..

  --george
--------------------------------------------------------------------

    Rensselear Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY 12180, USA

    Contacts:  Robert O'Bara ([email-masked])

    Postal Address:
               Robert O'Bara
               Rensselaer Design Research Center
               Rensselear Polytechnic Institute
               Troy, NY 12180
               USA

    Research:  The Center was involved in the development of the PHIGS
               and PHIGS+ standards.  Naturally, our focus has been
	       towards the visualization aspects of VR.

	       A graphics toolkit for Virtual Environment purposes is being 
	       developed that emphasizes the time-critical aspect of 
	       the rendering process.  Benchmarking of the graphics
	       hardware is performed to evaluate time allocation among
	       renderable objects obtaining constant rendering time frame
	       updates.
	       
	       There is also a project that is being involved with novell
	       input devices.  Force feedback is also considered.  The
	       project is also looking into ways of homogeneously
	       integrating the programming interface and interaction
	       techniques of the various input devices to a graphics
	       environment.

	       We are also working in visual fusion, which is the
	       annotation of the real world with computer generated
	       graphical information.

-- 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
George Kyriazis        |  Rensselaer Design Research Center, CII 7015,
[email-masked]  |   RPI, Troy, NY 12180.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------