Subject: Seminar on Types in Programming

From: Albert R. Meyer <MEYER @ MIT-MC>
Date: 10 September 1984 15:36-EDT

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT:

                  GENERALIZED TYPES IN PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES

FIRST MEETING:	Friday, Sept. 14, 1984, 3:30-5:00.

PLACE:		NE43-315, MIT Lab. for Comp. Sci., 545 Tech. Sq., Cambridge.

ORGANIZER:	A.R. Meyer, Net Address: Meyer@@Mit-MC.Arpa, Phone: 253-6024.

A reading seminar about generalized types and type-checking; polymorphism;
classes, modules, and inheritance; and related notions appearing in current and
proposed programming languages.  The slant will be toward identifying the
underlying semantical problems raised by the desired programming features.  For
the first five weeks (during the visit of Prof. Boris Trakhtenbrot, Univ. of
Tel Aviv) we will present and discuss the papers below starting with the first
two:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Burstall, Rod M., ``Programming with modules as typed functional
programming'', PROC. INT'L. CONF. 5TH GENERATION COMPUTING SYSTEMS, Tokyo, to
appear.  Manuscript from Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Edinburgh, 1984.

2. Burstall, Rod M. and Butler Lampson, ``A Kernel language for abstract data
types and modules'', SEMANTICS OF DATA TYPES: PROCEEDINGS, (eds.) Kahn,
MacQueen and Plotkin, Springer-Verlag, Lect. Notes in Comp. Sci. 173, 1-50,
1984.

3. MacQueen, David, ``Modules for standard ML'', ACM SYMP. ON LISP AND
FUNCTIONAL LANGUAGES, 1984.

4. Mitchell, John C., ``Lambda Calculus Models of Typed Programming
Languages'', Ph.D. Thesis, MIT, Dept. of EECS, September, 1984.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meeting time for the first five weeks is Tue., Fri., 3:30-5:00, and Tue.
3:30-5:00 thereafter.  Reading course credit can be arranged.

**************************************************************************