From: James Fullton <fullton>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 91 11:28:28 EDT

Received: from JNET-Daemon by UNCVX1.BITNET; Wed, 22 May 91 17:21 EDT
Received: From UNC(MAILER) by UNCVAX1 with Jnet id 0449 for PJONES@UNCVAX1;
 Wed, 22 May 91 17:21 EST
Date: Wed, 22 May 91 17:18 EST
From: Dot Baker <[email-masked]>
Subject: NIH GUIDE - V20(20) 05/24/91 - P2/2
To: [email-masked]

Hi Paul,
   This is Part 2 of the NIH Guide 5/24/9l.  Please post to the
listserver as:
              NIHGUIDE2.910524
                              Dottie
 ---------------------------- Text of forwarded message -----------------------
 
$$XID NIHGUIDE 19910524 V20N20 P2O2 ************************************
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
REVIEW CRITERIA
 
The following characteristics will be considered:
 
  o  Background and high potential of the candidate for a research
     career as an academic investigator.
 
  o  Sponsor and cosponsor must have an active and productive program of
     research in the area of the candidate's research interests.
 
  o  Appropriate consultants for the concepts and methods used with the
     research proposal (e.g., theorists, methodologists, and
     statisticians).
 
  o  The scientific merit of the research project.  The soundness of the
     plan for research development and training.
 
  o  The plan detailing the protection of the 75-100 percent of the
     candidate's time to be spent in research and research-related
     activities.
 
  o  Appropriateness of the availability of the environment and
     resources necessary to implement the proposal's program of research
     and development.
 
REVIEW PROCESS AND METHOD OF APPLYING
 
Applications will receive initial scientific and technical review by the
Nursing Science Review Committee (NRRC).  Second level review will be by
the National Advisory Council for Nursing Research.
 
Applications will be reviewed three times a year according to the
following schedule:
 
Applications     NRRC       Council Review       Earliest Starting
Received by                                      Date
 
October 1      Feb/Mar      May/June             July 1
February 1     June/July    Sep/Oct              Dec 1
June 1         Oct/Nov      Jan/Feb              April 1
 
  Applications must be submitted on the research grant application form
     PHS 398 (rev.  10/88).  If not available at the institution's
     office of sponsored programs, it may be requested from:
 
Office of Grants Inquiries
Division of Research Grants
Westwood Building, Room 449
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-7441
 
Completion of the application includes following the general
instructions from the PHS 398 application form and incorporating the
following additional information:
 
  o  Complete item 2 on the face page by typing in "NCNR K07 Academic
     Investigator Award, PA-91-57."
 
  o  Utilize the Research Career Development Award (RCDA) Table of
     Contents, but relabel the page "Academic Investigator Award."
 
  o  Complete a biographical sketch for the candidate, the sponsor, and
     the cosponsor.
 
  o  Provide information on "Other Support" and plans for the candidate,
     the sponsor, and the cosponsor.
 
  o  Utilize the Research Career Development Award Reference Guidelines,
     but relabel the page "Academic Investigator Award Reference
     Guidelines."  Submit four letters of reference documenting the
     candidate's research skills and experience.
 
NCNR CONTACTS FOR SPECIFIC RESEARCH AREAS OF EMPHASIS
 
Acute and Chronic Illness - Dr. Mary Lucas, Dr. Laura James
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention - Dr. Sharlene Weiss,
  Dr. June Lunney
Nursing Systems - Dr. Patricia Moritz, Dr. Barbara Pillar
 
National Center for Nursing Research
Building 31, Room 5B03
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0523
 
NCNR CONTACT FOR BUDGETARY AND ADMINISTRATIVE MATTERS
 
Ms. Sally Nichols
National Center for Nursing Research
Grants Management Officer
Building 31, Room 5B06
Bethesda, MD  20892
Telephone:  (301) 496-0237
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
No. 93.336, Nursing Research, and No. 93.866.  Awards are under
authorization of the Public Health Service Act, Title IV, Part A (Public
Law 78-410, as amended by Public Law 99-158, 42 USC 241 and 285) and
administered under PHS grants policies and Federal Regulations 42 CFR 52
and 45 CFR Part 74.  This program is not subject to the
intergovernmental review requirements of Executive Order 12372 or Health
Systems Agency review, April 6, 1988.
 
$$P4 END ***************************************************************
 
$$P5 BEGIN PA-91-58 ****************************************************
 
RESEARCH ON HOSPITALIZATION OF ADOLESCENTS FOR MENTAL DISORDERS
 
PA:  PA-91-58
 
P.T. 34; K.W. 0715129, 0770015, 0403001, 0745020
 
National Institute of Mental Health
 
PURPOSE
 
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) seeks applications for
the support of research on adolescents with mental disorders in both
inpatient and residential treatment settings.  This announcement will
also support objective 6.3 of "Healthy People 2000:  National Health
Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives."  Potential applicants may
obtain a copy of "Healthy People 2000" (Full Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00474-0) or "Healthy People 2000" (Summary Report:  Stock No.
017-001-00473-1) through the Superintendent of Documents, Government
Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402-9325 (telephone 202-783-3238).
 
RESEARCH OBJECTIVES
 
Research issues of interest include:  severity of illness, diagnoses,
and characteristics of hospitalized adolescents; the types, intensities,
and/or duration of treatment received by adolescents across treatment
settings; development and testing of improved assessment criteria for
hospitalization of adolescents; assessment of quality of care provided
to adolescents in the inpatient setting; behavioral and social outcomes
of inpatient treatment for adolescents with mental disorders; effects of
payment mechanisms on access to hospital treatment, quality, and
availability of treatment services and length of stay for various
adolescent populations; role of juvenile justice system, social service
system, and/or school system and their interface with hospitalized
adolescents; alternate forms of treatment for adolescents with mental
disorders; and effectiveness of hospital treatment for adolescents with
mental disorders and co-occurring alcohol and/or drug abuse.
 
ELIGIBILITY
 
Applications may be submitted by any nonprofit or for-profit
organization, including units of State and local governments.
 
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANTS REGARDING IMPLEMENTATION OF NIH
POLICIES CONCERNING INCLUSION OF WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN CLINICAL
RESEARCH STUDY POPULATIONS
 
NIH and ADAMHA policy is that applicants for NIH/ADAMHA clinical
research grants and cooperative agreements will be required to include
minorities and women in study populations so that research findings can
be of benefit to all persons at risk of the disease, disorder or
condition under study; special emphasis should be placed on the need for
inclusion of minorities and women in studies of diseases, disorders and
conditions which disproportionately affect them.  This policy is
intended to apply to males and females of all ages.  If women or
minorities are excluded or inadequately represented in clinical
research, particularly in proposed population-based studies, a clear
compelling rationale should be provided.
 
The composition of the proposed study population must be described in
terms of gender and racial/ethnic group.  In addition, gender and
racial/ethnic issues should be addressed in developing a research design
and sample size appropriate for the scientific objectives of the study.
This information should be included in the form PHS 398 in Section 2,
A-D of the Research Plan AND summarized in Section 2, E, Human Subjects.
Applicants/offerors are urged to assess carefully the feasibility of
including the broadest possible representation of minority groups.
However, NIH recognizes that it may not be feasible or appropriate in
all research projects to include representation of the full array of
United States racial/ethnic minority populations (i.e., Native Americans
(including American Indians or Alaskan Natives), Asian/Pacific
Islanders, Blacks, Hispanics).
 
The rationale for studies on single minority population groups should be
provided.
 
For the purpose of this policy, clinical research includes human
biomedical and behavioral studies of etiology, epidemiology, prevention
(and preventive strategies), diagnosis, or treatment of diseases,
disorders or conditions, including but not limited to clinical trials.
 
The usual NIH policies concerning research on human subjects also apply.
Basic research or clinical studies in which human tissues cannot be
identified or linked to individuals are excluded.  However, every effort
should be made to include human tissues from women and racial/ethnic
minorities when it is important to apply the results of the study
broadly, and this should be addressed by applicants.
 
For foreign awards, the policy on inclusion of women applies fully;
since the definition of minority differs in other countries, the
applicant must discuss the relevance of research involving foreign
population groups to the United States' populations, including
minorities.
 
If the required information is not contained within the application, the
application will be returned.
 
Peer reviewers will address specifically whether the research plan in
the application conforms to these policies.  If the representation of
women or minorities in a study design is inadequate to answer the
scientific question(s) addressed AND the justification for the selected
study population is inadequate, it will be considered a scientific
weakness or deficiency in the study design and will be reflected in
assigning the priority score to the application.
 
All applications for clinical research submitted to NIH are required to
address these policies.  NIH funding components will not award grants or
cooperative agreements that do not comply with these policies.
 
SUPPORT MECHANISMS
 
Research support may be requested through applications for an individual
research grant (R01), the First Independent Research and Transition
(FIRST) award (R29), and a small grant (R03).
 
PERIOD OF SUPPORT
 
Applicants may request support for up to five years for research
projects.  Small grants are limited to two years and may not be renewed.
FIRST awards may be made for up to five years and are not renewable.
Annual awards will be made, subject to continued availability of funds
and progress achieved.  During Fiscal Year 1990 the Services Research
Branch of the NIMH Division of Applied and Services Research funded
approximately $5 million in child and adolescent research.
 
APPLICATION PROCEDURES
 
Applicants must use the form PHS 398 (revised 10/88).  The program
announcement number and the short version of the title for this program
announcement must be typed in item number 2 on the face page of the
application form; also check "yes" on item 2.
 
The signed original and six legible copies of the completed application
must be sent to:
 
Division of Research Grants
National Institutes of Health
Westwood Building, Room 240
Bethesda, MD  20892**
 
REVIEW PROCEDURES
 
Applications will be reviewed in accordance with the regular PHS review
schedule:
 
Receipt Dates    Initial   Advisory Council  Earliest
New/Renewal      Review        Review        Start Date
 
June 1/July 1*   Oct./Nov.  Jan./Feb.        Apr. 1
Oct. 1/Nov. 1*   Feb./Mar.  May/June         July 1
Feb. 1/Mar. 1*   May/June   Sept./Oct.       Dec. 1
 
*Amended applications (new or renewal) are to be submitted on the latter
dates.
 
FURTHER INFORMATION
 
For further programmatic information, prospective applicants should
contact:
 
Ann Hohmann, Ph.D., M.P.H. or Junius Gonzales, M.D.
Services Research Branch
Division of Applied and Services Research
National Institute of Mental Health
Room 18C-14
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-3364
 
For further information of a grants management nature, prospective
applicants should contact:
 
Stephen J. Hudak, Chief
Grants Management Section
National Institute of Mental Health
Room 7C-23
5600 Fishers Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Telephone:  (301) 443-4456
 
This program is described in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance,
Nos. 93.242, 93.281, and 93.282).  Under the authority of the Public
Health Service Act, Title IV, Section 301 (Public Law 78-410, as
amended; 42 USC 241) and administered under PHS grants policies and
Federal Regulations 42 CFR Part 52 and 45 CFR Part 74 and 92, the
National Institute of Mental Health will accept applications in response
to this announcement.
 
$$P5 END ***************************************************************
 
**THE MAILING ADDRESS GIVEN FOR SENDING APPLICATIONS TO THE DIVISION OF
RESEARCH GRANTS OR CONTACTING PROGRAM STAFF IN THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS
THE CENTRAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH.
APPLICANTS WHO USE EXPRESS MAIL OR A COURIER SERVICE ARE ADVISED TO
FOLLOW THE CARRIER'S REQUIREMENTS FOR SHOWING A STREET ADDRESS.  THE
ADDRESS FOR THE WESTWOOD BUILDING IS:
 
5333 Westbard Avenue
Bethesda, Maryland 20816

               FULL TEXT OF RFAs FOR ONLINE ACCESS