Subject: Robin Hood Booklist (rec.arts.books)

From: [email-masked] (Cindy Tittle Moore)
Date: 10 Jul 1994 08:51:11 GMT

Archive-name: books/robin-hood
Version: 1.6
Last-modified: 12 April 1994
Periodicity: 25 days

Copies of this FAQ may be obtained by anonymous ftp to rtfm.mit.edu
under /pub/usenet/news.answers/books/robin-hood.  Or,
send email to [email-masked] with 
send usenet/news.answers/books/robin-hood 
in the body of the message, leaving the subject line empty.

This is a reading list involving the Robin Hood legend.
         
My criterion for these books is that it be concerned with the Robin
Hood legend in some way.  I have three categories here: novelizations
(fiction), poetry, and non-fiction (eg, studies and research).  There
are a good number of research and old-manuscript references listed
here that are probably unavailable except through a University-level
library.  I have split the books up into the following categories:

  * Medieval fiction: often published at any point in time, but
    discussing texts from this period.  I've arbitrarily put
    everything pre 1600 in this section, although I realize this
    isn't the "medieval" period.

  * Fiction (1600-1899): involves any fiction published during this
    time.  If I have an 18th century commentary on a 15th century
    work, that goes here.  (If it's a 18th century republication of
    something from prior to 1600, let me know and I will move it to
    the above category.)

  * Fiction (1900-present): includes all fictionalized accounts
    published in this century.

  * Poetry: includes all poetic versions of the Robin Hood legend,
    regardless of when (first) published or written.

  * Non-fiction and research: includes analyses of the Robin Hood
    legend: how it started, what purpose it filled, etc.  Some of the
    texts that republish old work but include an analysis may have
    been mistakenly filed in one of the fiction categories above; let
    me know if this is the case.

I encourage you to send in any comments you have on a particular book
for inclusion.  I'd like to be able to give a sense of what the book
offers.  In addition, if you have references to books on Robin Hood
that are *not* listed here, please send them to me for inclusion.

Disclaimer: I have not vouched for the accuracy of each and every
entry in this list.  I would like also to indicate which books are no
longer in print.  If you find mistakes or have additional information
on a reference, by all means, let me know.

Thanks to: Ann Carlson, Dean Clamons, Matthew Clark, Aaron C. Clarke,
George T. Crafts, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, Roger Gardiner, George M.
Jacobs, Michael Kelly, Larry Hammer, Tovah Hollander, Jane Lean,
Duncan MacGregor, John G. Norman, Robert Oliver, Emma Pease, Tirza van
Rijn, John C.  Sluder, David Salley, Eric John Thiesen, and Elaine
Thompson for their contributions.

Changes are indicated with |'s.


Table of Contents:
1.  Fiction (medieval)
2.  Fiction (1600-1899)
3.  Fiction (1900-present)
4.  Poetry
5.  Non-fiction and research

1. Fiction (medieval)
---------------------

_The gallant achievements of Robin Hood : The famous history of Fryer
Bacon: the romance of Robert the Devil_ (Edinburgh : O. Schulze,
[1904?]).  Early English prose romances.

Childe, Francis.  _Ballads of England and Scotland_. Childe collected
a number of pre 1600 ballads, including ones about Robin Hood, into
this volume in the mid 1800's.  He used earlier collections for his
sources.

Clawson, William Hall, _The gest of Robin Hood_ (University of Toronto
library, 1909).

Gutch, John Mathew, ed., _A Lytell geste of Robyn Hode and his meiny_
(Reprinted from the edition edited by John Mathew Gutch, following the
Wynken de Worde and William Copland texts, by Edwin and Robert
Grabhorn for the Westgate Press ;...  San Francisco, [1932], 1847).

2. Fiction (1600-1899)
----------------------

_The Adventures of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon, commonly called Robin
Hood, the famous English archer : being a complete history of all the
merry adventures and valiant battles_ (Baltimore [Md.] : Printed and
sold by William Warner, 1812).

_The History of Robin Hood.  A new and correct edition_.  (London : Printed
for the Booksellers, 1816).  Juvenile.

Dumas, Alexandre, Robin des bois.  (Paris, Editions Baudelaire
[1966]).  Translations available.

Egan, Pierce (the Younger), _Robin Hood and Little John : or, The
merry men of Sherwood forest_ (London: Foster and Hextall, 1840).

Marsh, John B., _The life and adventures of Robin Hood_ (London, New
York, G. Routledge and sons [1865?]).

Mills, Alfred, _Sherwood Forest, or, Robin Hood and Little John_
(London : Published by E. Wallis ..., [ca. 1825]).

M. P. (Martin Parker), _A true tale of Robin Hood, or, A brief touch of
the life and death of that renowned outlaw, Robert, Earl of
Huntington, vulgarly called Robin Hood : who lived and dyed in A.D.
1198, being the 9th year of the reign..._  ([London] : Printed for J.
Clark, W. Thackeray, and T. Passinger, 1686).

Muddock, J.E.  _Maid Marian and Robin Hood: A Romance of Old Sherwood
Forest_ With 12 illustrations by Stanley L. Wood Philadelphia:
J.B.Lippincott Company 1894.

Pyle, Howard, _The merry adventures of Robin Hood : of great renown in
Nottinghamshire_ (New York : Charles Scribner's Sons, 1884, many
reprints).  This is a classic rendition, most often recommended to
readers.  A little "old fashioned" in its phrasing, it has a style and
flair all its own.

Southey, Robert and Caroline Southey, _Robin Hood : a fragment_
London : Edinburgh : William Blackwood, 1847).

Peacock, Thomas Love, _Maid Marian_ (London : T. Hookham, 1822, reprinted).

Scott, Sir Walter, _Ivanhoe_.  Robin Hood appears as a minor character
in this work.

Seawell, Molly Elliot, _Maid Marian and other stories_ (New York :
Appleton, 1891).

Waldron, F. G. (Francis Godolphin), ed., _The sad shepherd, or, A tale
of Robin Hood : a fragment_ (London : Printed for J. Nichols ... and
sold by C. Dilly, 1783).  With a continuation, notes, and an appendix.

3. Fiction (1900-present)
-------------------------

Bowman, Anne,  _The boy foresters : a tale of the days of Robin Hood_
(London ; New York : G. Routledge, [1905]).  Juvenile fiction.

Brown, Alice, _Robin Hood's barn.  (New York, Macmillan, 1913).

Bulfinch, Thomas, _The age of chivalry ; or, Legends of King Arthur_
(many editions).

Carpenter, Richard, _Robin of Sherwood_, (Puffin Books. 1984. ISBN
0-14-031690-6); Carpenter, Richard and Robin May, _Robin of Sherwood
and the Hounds of Lucifer_, (Puffin Books. 1985. ISBN 0-14-031869-0);
Carpenter, Richard and Anthony Horowitz, _Robin of Sherwood: The
Hooded Man_, (Puffin Books. 1986. ISBN 0-14-032058-X); Carpenter,
Richard, _Robin of Sherwood: The Time of the Wolf_, (Puffin Books.
1988. ISBN 0-14-032660-X).  These four books are also collected in
one volume, the omnibus: Carpenter, Richard, with Robin May and
Anthony Horowitz, _The Complete Adventures of Robin of Sherwood_,
(Puffin Books. 1990. ISBN 0-14-034450-0).  The books to the
marvellous Robin of Sherwood TV series. 'A magical retelling of the
legend of Robin Hood'. Well written, great characters, gives a good
impression of what it must have been like in mediaeval times, the
mysticism and sorcery fits in, great sense of humour.

Chase, Nicholas.  _Locksley_.  St. Martins/Marek, New York.  1983.
ISBN 0-312-49428-9. A highly improbable and highly entertaining
retelling of the legend as it "might have actually happened."  Good
reading.

Creswick, Paul.  N.C. Wyeth, illustrator.  _Robin Hood_.  Charles
Scribner's Sons, New York.  Reprint.  Original copyright 1917, Wyeth,
1957. 1984.  ISBN 0-684-18162-2. The illustrations alone make this
book worth getting.  A nicely told version of the Robin Hood legend.

|Doherty, P. C.  _The Assassin in the Greenwood_ (1993?), is a telling
|of the death of Robin Hood, and how an "under-sheriff" of Nottingham
|masqueraded as Robin to discredit him.  The book is interesting in
|that it has a brief afterword by the author.  In it, he claims that
|Robin was not a contemporary of Richard I (and John), but of Edward
|I.  He suggests that Robin was a supporter of Simon de Montfort's
|revolt against the king in the mid-13th century and fled to Sherwood
|forest after the revolt failed.  The plot is not that great, but the
|setting is well-rendered (including the tendency to violence that was
|said to be common in those days).

Emery, Clayton, _Tales of Robin Hood_ (New York : Baen Pub
Enterprises; distributed by Simon & Schuster, 1988).

Finnemore, John, _The story of Robin Hood and his merry men_ (London,
A. and C. Black, 1917).

Fraser, Antonia, _Robin Hood_ (Illustrated by Rebecca Fraser.  [1st
American ed.].  New York, Knopf [c1971]).

Goldberg, Moses, _The outlaw Robin Hood_ (New Orleans : Anchorage
Press, c1980).

Goldman, James, _Robin and Marian_ (New York, Bantam Books, 1976).
The major portion of this book is Goldman's original screenplay for
the movie <Robin and Marian>, which starred Audrey Hepburn (Maid
Marian), Sean Connery (Robin Hood), Robert Shaw (Sheriff of
Nottingham), Nicol Williamson (Little John), and Richard Harris (King
Richard).  Also included in the volume are 3 short essays.  'Where
Have All the Heroes Gone?' laments the lack of heroes with High
Principles and Noble Dreams, muses on heroes grown old--Ulysses, Ben
Hogan, Fritz Kreisler--and sets up his premises/questions: What
happened to Robin and Marian after they had grown old? (not
doddering, but fifty-something), and Why do some of the versions of
the myth have Marian killing Robin?.  'What All the Singing Was
About' gives some historical background on the Robin Hood myth and
why it has survived some 700 years and still has the power to move
us.  'Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Screenplays and Were
Afraid to Ask" is his insider's view of writing the screenplay,
selling it, and making the movie.

Godwin, Parke.  _Sherwood_.  Avon Books, New York.  1992.  ISBN
0-380-70995-3.  _Robin and the King_, 1993.  Excellent, well
thought out story.  Placed during the Norman invasion of 1066.
Unusual depth of characterization, you get a real feel for what the
clash between the Saxons and Normans must have been like.  Second book
is set in France, where Robin has been exiled but still serves the
King.

Green, Roger Lancelyn, _Robin Hood_, (Penguin Books. 1982).  A kind of
compilation of various other Robin Hood books (quotations preceed
every chapter).

Green, Simon, _Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves_, (Fantail books. 1991.
ISBN 0-14-090340-2).  The novelization of the Kevin Costner Robin
Hood movie.

Greenberg, Martin H., ed., _The fantastic adventures of Robin Hood_
(New York, N.Y., U.S.A. : Penguin, 1991).

Harvey, George Cockburn, ed. and Edwin John Prittie, illus.  _Robin
Hood_.  (Chicago: John C. Winston Co., 1923.)  Black and White
illustrations, with several color ones.  All done by Prittie.  Large
print edition, so I assume for children.  Some unfamiliar words are
noted with asterisk and defined at bottom of page.  Example:
hinds=laborers.  Book includes an Appendix with info about the real
Robin Hood.  This info is in the form of a "quotation from the
abridgment of Ritson's Life of Robin Hoo, as given by Gutch" (345).
Also in the Appendix is the ballad "Robin Hood and Allin'A' Dale."

Hayes, Sarah, _Robin Hood_ (Illustrated by Patrick Benson, 1st
American ed.  New York : Henry Holt, 1989).

Herbertson, Agnes Grozier, _Heroic legends : the stories of St. George
and the dragon, Robin Hood, Richard and Blondel, and other legends_
(Illustrated by Helen Stratton, London: Blackie and Son, 1908).

Holt, James Clarke, _Robin Hood_ (London : Thames and Hudson, c1982,
rev. 1989).

Kluger, Richard, _The Sherrif of Nottingham_ (N.Y.: Viking, 1992,
ISBN 0-670-84022-X).  A new fictional work which sets the story at
the time of King John, but focuses on the much maligned sheriff of
Nottingham. Kluger has historical notes identifying a historical
sheriff of the period, Philip Mark, and recreates him as a rather
sympathetic, if plodding, character.

Lang, Andrew, ed., _The story of Robin Hood, and other tales of
adventure and battle_ (Illustrated by H. J. Ford, New York : Schocken
Books, 1968).

McKinley, Robin, _The Outlaws of Sherwood_ (1st ed.  New York :
Greenwillow Books, c1988).  A very nice retelling of the legend.
Strong female characters.

McSpadden, J. Walker,  _The Adventures of Robin Hood & His Merry
Outlaws_ (Greenwich House, Crown Publishers, New York.  1984 reprint).
ISBN 0-517-43602-7.

Newboldt, Sir Henry John, ed., _The Greenwood : a Collection of
Literary Readings Related to Robin Hood_ London, Edinburg, T. Nelson,
1926).

Pease, Howard, _The Gypsy Caravan_ (Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday,
Doran & Company, inc., 1930).  Being the merry tale of the travels of
Betty and Joe with the gypsies.  Robin Hood is a peripheral character.

Rhead, L. J. (Louis J.), _Bold Robin Hood and his outlaw band_ (New
York, London, Harper & Brothers, 1912).

Roberson, Jennifer, _Lady of the Forest_ (1992).  The lady is Marian,
the forest is Sherwood, and Robin is Robert, the son and heir of the
Earl of Huntingdon.  Roberson wrote the book using all the characters
for viewpoint (Sheriff, Earl, Robert, Will Scarlet, Marian, etc.)
which while slowing it down in some ways, provided all sorts of
different perspectives on the action, since *everyone's* version is
present.  This is set in the times of the Crusades and historical
details are handled pretty well.

Skinner, Eleanor Louise, _Tales and plays of Robin Hood_ (New York,
Cincinnati [etc.] American book company [ s1915]).

Speak, Harold, _Robin Hood of Wakefield_ ([Ossett, H. Speak & J.
Forrester, 1970]).

Stocqueler, J. H. (Joachim Hayward), _The forest queen, Maid Marian. A
story of Robin Hood, and his merry men, in Sherwood Forest_ (London,
Lea [n.d.]).

Sutcliff, Rosemary, _The Chronicles of Robin Hood_. (Oxford
University Press.  1953).  Goes as a children's book, but worthwhile
reading for an adult too. A very nice retelling of the Robin Hood
legend.

Singer, Marilyn, _Lizzie Silver of Sherwood Forest_ (Illustrated by
Miriam Nerlove, 1st ed.  New York : Harper & Row, c1986). Juvenile.

Stone, Eugenia, _Robin Hood's arrow_ (Illustrated by Rafaello Busoni,
Chicago : Follett Publishing Co., c1948).

Storer, Ronald D. K.  _Robin Hood_ (Mumbai : Oxford University Press,
1986).

Trease, Geoffrey. _Bows against the Barons_, (Leicester: Brockhampton
1966 (c1934)).  Because he was close to university and had very
left-wing leanings (as so many English university types had at that
time) this is a very "socialist" Robin Hood tale.  

Vance, Eleanor Graham, _Adventures of Robin Hood_ (Illustrated by Jay
Hyde Barnum, prepared under the supervision of Josette Frank, New
York, Random House, c1953).

Vansittart, Peter, _The death of Robin Hood : a novel_ (London : Owen,
c1981).

Whitby, Sharon, _The Last of the Greenwood_.  (New York, Pyramid
Publications, HBJ.  1975).  Romance/Adventure retelling of the Robin
Hood legend, concentrating on Robin's relationships with Marion.
Enjoyable story.

White, T.H., _The Once and Future King_. Includes a longish diversion
in which Wart and Kay meet one "Robin 'ood," though it's explained
that "'ood" is not short for "Hood," but "yer know, 'ood -- like this
'ood we're standin' in."

Williams, Jay, _The good yeomen_ (New York, Appleton-Century-Crofts
[1948]).

4. Poetry
---------

Dietrick, Laurabelle and Joseph Franz-Walsh, _The merry ballads of
Robin Hood_ (Illustrated by Edna Reindel, New York, The Macmillan
Company, 1931).  The whole story of that Robin Hood, known as Earl of
Huntington, and Locksley.

Dobson, R.B. and J. Taylor, eds., _Rymes of Robyn Hood : an
introduction to the English outlaw_ (Pittsburgh : University of
Pittsburgh Press, 1976).

Hunt, Leigh, _Ballads of Robin Hood_ (Cedar Rapids, Ia., Priv. print.
[The Torch Press] 1922).  With some manuscript reproductions.

Jonson, Ben [1573?-1637], _Ben Jonson's Sad shepherd, with Waldron's
continuation_ (Ed. by W. W.  Greg.  Louvain, A. Uystpruyst; [etc.,
etc.] 1905).

Jonson, Ben, _The sad shepherd: or, A tale of Robin Hood, a fragment_
(many editions).

Lees, Jim, ed., _The ballads of Robin Hood_ (Illustrated by David
Gentleman, Cambridge : University Press, 1977).

Munday, Anthony, _The death of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon. (Oxford,
Printed for the Malone Society by V. Ridler at the University Press,
[1967] 1601).

Munday, Anthony, _The downfall of Robert, Earl of Huntingdon_
([Prepared by John C.  Meagher].  Oxford, Printed for the Malone
Society by V. Ridler at the University Press, [1965] 1601).

Ritson, Joseph, ed., _Robin Hood, a collection of poems, songs, and
ballads, relative to that celebrated English outlaw_ (London,
Routledge, 1884).

Ritson, Joseph, ed., _Robin Hood : a collection of all the ancient poems,
songs, and ballads_ (London : Printed for Longman, etc., 1820).

Sidgwick, Frank, ed., _Popular ballads of the olden time_ (London,
Sidgwick & Jackson, ltd., 1912).  Ballads of Robin Hood and other
outlaws.

Tennyson, Baron Alfred, _The foresters, Robin Hood and Maid
Marian_ (New York, Macmillan, 1892).

5. Non-fiction and research
---------------------------

Bellamy, John G., _Robin Hood : an historical enquiry_ (Beckenham,
Kent : Croom Helm, [1985]).

Campbell, William W., _An historical sketch of Robin Hood and Captain
Kidd_ (New York, C. Scribner, 1853).

Corcoran, Kelvin, _Robin Hood in the dark ages_ (preface by Tom
Raworth, London ; New York : Permanent Press, 1985).

Dobson, R. B. and John Taylor.  Rymes of Robyn Hood : an
introduction to the English outlaw.  Pittsburgh : University of
Pittsburgh Press, 1976.  I haven't seen this one yet, but it is
supposed to be the best edition of poems and ballads devoted to
Robin Hood.  Criticial commentary accompanies each poem.

Fithian, Edward William, _The life of Robin Hood, the celebrated
outlaw; comprising an historical account of his birth, famous
exploits, merry speeches, ballads, and gallant behaviour_ (London,
Nicholson [1900?]).

Gable, J. Harris, _Bibliography of Robin Hood_ (Lincoln, Neb., 1939).

Hargrove, Ely, _Anecdotes of archery; from the earliest ages to the
year 1791_ (York, Hargrove, 1792).  Including an account of the most
famous archers of ancient and modern times; with some curious
particulars in the life of Robert Fitz-Ooth Earl.

Harris, Percy Valentine, _The truth about Robin Hood_ ([6th ed.].
London [1957]).  Evidence of the hero's actual existence.

Hilton, R.H., ed., _Peasants, Knights, and Heretics: Studies in
medieval social history_, (Cambridge & N.Y.: Cambridge U.P., 1976).
Series: Past and Present Publications.

Holt, J. C.  Robin Hood.  London : Thames and Hudson, 1982.  A
very useful survey of the origins and development of the Robin
Hood stories, with good illustrations and maps.

Keen, Maurice Hugh, _The outlaws of medieval legend_ (Toronto,
University of Toronto Press, 1961, reprinted in 1977).

Miles, Bernard, _Robin Hood, his life and legend_ (Illustrated by
Victor G. Ambrus, Chicago : Rand McNally, 1979).  Victor G. Ambrus is
an excellent illustrator.  His arms and armour are not always
absolutely right, but are usually pretty good; his heraldry is not
always clearly understood, but then heraldry for the Robin Hood
stories is even more hypothetical than that of the Arthurian tales.
His horses are wonderful.  The book is worth having just for the
pictures, quite apart from Lord Myles' rather thoughtful commentary.

Nelson, Malcolm A. (Malcolm Antony), _The Robin Hood tradition in the
English renaissance_ (Salzburg, Inst. f. Engl. Sprache u. Literatur,
Univ. Salzburg, 1973).

Pringle, Patrick, _Stand and Deliver: Highwaymen from Robin Hood to
Dick Turpin_ Copyright 1991 Dorset Press. ISBN 0-88029-698-4. This is
a very interesting book, but RH is discussed only on pp 13-15.

Stallybrass, Peter. "`Drunk with the Cup of Liberty': Robin Hood, the
Carnivalesque, and the Rhetoric of Violence in Early Modern England."
_Semiotica_ 54, no. 1/2 (1985): 113-145.  Reprinted in _The Violence
of Rhetoric_, edited by Nancy Armstrong and Leonard Tennenhouse.  New
York: Routledge, 1990.
  Here's an interesting account of the politics of Robin Hood in the
  sixteenth century.

Walker, John William, _The true history of Robin Hood_ (With illus. by
Ethel W. Walker, [Wakefield] West Yorkshire Print. Co., 1952, reprinted).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cindy Tittle Moore

Internet: [email-masked]          USmail: PO Box 4188, Irvine CA, 92716