Subject: Tolkien Society/Journal List (Revision 1.3)
From: [email-masked] (Richard Leyton)
Date: 22 Feb 94 09:05:59 GMT
Newsgroups: rec.arts.books.tolkien,alt.fan.tolkien

Tolkien Societies and Societies of related interest, Journals
and publications

Revision 1.3 (22nd February 1994)

Firstly, sorry for the long delay in issuing this. Promise after
promise was made, but problem after problem appeared. However,
its finally together, and its the biggest its ever been, thanks
to a great deal of help from some really generous people. You
know who you are, and you're credited at the end! My heartfelt
thanks to you all.

This list is getting very big now (in case you haven't noticed).
I shall be putting all of the information into a database at
some point, which I will make available to all at the ftp sites
I know of. This will make my task easier, and speed updates.
However! Its by no means complete (and is certainly becoming
more so as time passes). Once again, contributions are greatly
in need for Africa, Middle-East, Far-East, and South America.
Please contact me by whatever means are convenient.

Societies/associations marked with an asterix (*) contain very
little information. If you know of any information with regard
to these, please contact me, so that the information can be
updated/expanded.

I would also like this list to reach each of the societies
listed below. If you are writing to the society, I would really
appreciate it if you could enclose a copy of this list, so that
the societies can contact me directly.

Please distribute this list (Especially to the Societies
themselves, so information is really accurate)!. However, any
updates should be sent to myself, so their is a central
compilation point. I will ensure the internet ftp sites given at
the base of the article are updated as well. Check here for up
to date details. I aim to update this list once a month or so,
but such frequency will change according to the number of
updates I receive.

There is a great deal of information out in the Internet, but
its not always easy to find this information out! I have given
some of the main sources of information at the base of the
letter, but there are better sources. Netnews is the best
starting point. If you find anything out that I have not
included that you feel should be included, please post it to me
so others can benefit. William Loos has put together some
excellent FAQ (Frequently asked Questions) pages, which will be
of interest to any fan new to Internet.

Anyway, I shall now disappear back to my Hobbit Hole and await
the (electronic) post which will start me tapping over my
keyboard once more.

Richard Leyton.

[email-masked]
Tel. +44 487 8837 (GMT 9am-5.30pm)
Fax. +44 487 8843 (24hr)Societies (By country)

Australia:

Mythopoeic Literature Society

Contact: Dr Kath Filmer-Davies, Dept. of English, University of
Queensland, 

Brisbane, Australia 4072.

Publications: "The Journal of myth, fantasy and romanticism",
published annually.

Information : The society began as a group of people who liked
talking about Tolkien and Lewis, but became much wider in scope.
The society holds an annual conference each year.

Belgium:

* Belgian Tolkien Society

Contact: Nathalie Kotowski, Rue Victor Gambier 25, Bte 7, 1180
Bruxelles, Belgium

Publications: "Cirth De Gandalf"

Information: No further information available.

Denmark:

* Danmarks Tolkienforening (The Tolkien Society of Denmark). 

Contact: Lars-Terje Oeland Lysemose, Moelholtvej 90, Molholt,
9300 Saeby, Denmark

Journal: "Athelas" 

Information: Founded Jan 1993. 

* Dansk Tolkien Selskab

Contact: Lars Kongshoj, Vingertoften 258, 2730 Herlev, Damark
(Denmark).

Journal: No publication information available

Information: No further information available.

Finland:

Suomen Tolkien-seura (The Finnish Tolkien Society). 

Contact: PO Box 215, SF-00131 Helsinki, Finland.

Publications: "Legolas" (Quarterly). Bulletin "News from the
Quenya Country"

Information: Founded Jan 1992. 

France:

* Bulletin de la faculte des etudes elfiques

Contact: M. Edouard Kloczko, 22, rue Victor Hugo, F-78800
Houilles, France.

Publications: "La Feerik"

Information: I can't read French!

Japan:

* Shiro no Norite

Contact: Atsuko Onouchi, 77-113 Nakano-nishi 1, Itami-shi,
Hyogo-ken, Japan.

Publications: "White Rider"

Information: No further information available.

Hungary:

* The Hungarian Tolkien Society

Contact: Zoltan Farkas, 14/A Aradi ut, Nagyatad, 7500 Hungary
([email-masked])

Publications: Newsletter "Telumendil"

Further Information: Founded 1993.

* Italy:

Recently formed Society, I understand, but no details
available...

Netherlands:

Unquendor - Dutch Tolkien Society

Contact: Cecile van Zon, Croesinckplein 104, NL-2722 EE
Zoetermeer, Netherlands.

Publications: "Lembas". (Written in Dutch). 

Norway:

Arthedain - The Tolkien Society of Norway

Contact: PO Box 37 Blindern, N-0313 Oslo, Norway. 

Publications: Journal "Angethras", three times yearly. 

Information: Founded in 1981. Membership approximately 130.
Local branches in Oslo (Talath Aer) and Bergen (Mithlond).
Angerthas is available in English in large issues.Contact: Magne
Bergland (E-Mail at end of article)

Poland:

Polish Tolkien Society

Contact: Andrzej Kowalski, Skaski Klub Fantastyki (Sekcja
Tolkienowska), Pocztowa Street 16/18, P.O.Box 502, 40042
Katowice, Poland.

Publications: "Little Gwaihir" (English Edition available -
Buckland News).

Information: No further information available.

Spain

Sociedad tolkien Espannola (The Spanish Tolkien Society)

Contact: The President: Jose Manuel Fernandez Bru, c/ Nueva
S.Antonio, 3, 3a, 03203 ELCHE, Spain.

Publications: 'Estel' (Occasional) - No Subscriptions - Exchange
issues of other Tolkien association publications. Write to the
Editor: Pablo Gines; c/Florencia 7, 08026 BARCELONA, Spain.

Information: The Spanish Tolkien Society is an association of
people who have in common only an interest on the works of JRRT,
and communicate mainly by mail.

Sweden:

* Stockholms Tolkiensaellskap (The Tolkien Society of
Stockholm). 

Contact: No Contact Address.

Publications: "Medlemsbladet". 

Information: Nothing further.

* Angmar Malmoe Tolkiensallskap (The Tolkien Society of Malmoe). 

Contact: No contact Address.

Publications: "Certhas Angmar".

Information: Nothing further

Arda-saellskapet (The Arda Society). 

Contact: Anders Stenstrop, Stiernhielmsgatan 5B, 753 33Uppsala,
Sweden. E-Mail: [email-masked]. Also: US Contact:
See The New England Tolkien Society for Gary Hunnewell; UK
Contact: Peter Bolton, 63 Ruthin Court, Salford, Greater
Manchester, M6 5DX, UK; Netherlands Contact: Tolkienwinkel, Jan
Gerritsen, Horstacker 13-14 6546 EJ Nijmegen, The Netherlands.

Publications: Annual Journal "Arda".

Information: No further information available.

Forodrim (The Swedish Tolkien Society). 

Contact: Stefan Litaenius, Laxgatan 8, 6 tr., 13300
Saltsjobaden, Sweden.

Publications: "Arda, Palantiren" - Anders Stenstrom,
Stiernhielmsgatan, 5B, 753 33 Upsala, Sweden; "Medlemsbladet"
c/o Leif Euren, Harjedalsgatan 40, 162 23 Vallingby, Sweden;

Information: No further information available.

* Mithlond

Contact: No contact details available.

Publications: No publication details available.

Information: Located in Gothenburgh. 

* Midgaards Fylking

Contact: Lars Hultqvist, Farkostvagen 1, 18135 Lidingo, Sweden.

Publications: No publication details available.

Information: Branches all over Sweden, and other countries. 

Switzerland

* Eredain (The Swiss Tolkien Society)

Contact: Peter Buchs, Hubackerweg 1, 5610 Wohlen, Switzerland.

Publications: "Aglared".

Information: No further information available.

*  Turkey

Contact: Emre Tuncer, Pk.27 81072, Suadiye/Istanbul, Turkey.
E-Mail: myogr001@trakden

Publications: No specific information. 

Information: New Group based loosely around Tolkien. FRP,
Fantasy Literature/Sci-Fi. Meetings held occasionally. Gaming
competitions.

United Kingdom:

The Tolkien Society

Contact: Miss Anne Haward, Flat 6, 8 Staverton Road, OXFORD, OX2
6XL, United Kingdom. (Or myself over internet: [email-masked])

Publications: "Amon Hen" - Bimonthly newsletter; "Mallorn"
annual Journal

Information : British Tolkien Society, with JRRT as president in
perpetu. It is an international organisation, registered in the
United Kingdom as a charity. Membership in excess of 600. 
Annual conference "Oxonmoot" in Oxford, friendship with Tolkien
Family, and seminars with guest speakers (past speakers include
Terry Pratchett). Linguistic Fellowship (see below). 

Linguistic Fellowship of the Tolkien Society

Contact: Christina Scull, 1A Colestown Street, London, SW11 3EH,
United Kingdom.

Publications: "Quettar" (Occasional)

Information: 3.75 (UK), 5.60 Surface, 6.00 Airmail.(Pounds
Sterling).

Tolkien Collector/Bibligraphy

Contact: Christina Scull, 1A Colestown Street, London, SW11 3EH,
UK. (US: Wayne Hammond, 30 Talcott Road, Williamstown, MA 01267,
USA)

Publications: "The Tolkien Collector".

Information: Subscriptions are 3.75/four issue UK; 5/four
issues Europe/Surface Mail elsewhere; 6.00 Airmail. Equivalent
US amount to Wayne Hammond.

* The George MacDonald Society

Contact: Nick Bolton, Flat 2, 39 Pevensy Rd, Eastbourne, East
Sussex, BN21 3HR, UK. 

Publications: Journal "Orts".

Information: No further information available.

* The Lewis Carroll Society

Contact: Dr. S. Goodacre, 69 Ashby Road, Woodville,
Burton-on-Trent, Staffs. DE11 7BZ, UK.

Publications: Journal "Jabberwocky"

Information: No further information available.

* SF Foundation

Contact: New Worlds, 71-72 Charing Cross Road, London, WC2H 0AA

Publications: "Foundation".

Information: No further information available.

* Cambridge Tolkien Society. 

Contact: Marc Read - E-Mail: [email-masked].

Journal: "Anor". 

Information: No further information available. Links with Oxford
Tolkien Society

Taruithorn - The Oxford Tolkien Society

Contact: President: Pete Clark, University College, Oxford;
Publicity Officer: Rob Bielby, Christ Church, Oxford, OX1 1DP;
E-Mail: [email-masked]

Publications: "Miruvor" - Termly magazine

Information: Founded four years ago. Meetings are held every
Friday during Term (termcard available via E-Mail on request).
Wide range of activities, bot scholorly and social, and have
contacts with many other Tolkien Societies - The UK Tolkien
Society, other UK "Smials", and the Mythopeic Society.
Membership 3/term, or 6/year. Small merchandise range.

* Fantasy Society

Contact: David Sutton, 195 Station Road, Kings Heath,
Birmingham, B14 7TE, United Kingdom.

Journal: No publication details available.

Information: No further information available.

Miscellaneous UK Addresses/Contacts

Bodleian Library, Oxford, OX1 3BG, England.

United States of America

Mythopoeic Society. 

Contact: Mythopoeic Society, PO Box 6707, Altadena, California,
91003, USA.

Publications: "Mythic Circle", (3 issues/year - $13 Members; $18
Non-members; Fiction, fantasy and sf writings); "Mythlore"
(Quarterly Journal of Society - $15 members; $20 non-members;
Covers Genre of fantasy and myth; Emphasis on Charles Williams,
J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S.Lews); "Mythprint" (Monthly newsletter;
$7.50 members, $12.50 non-members; Covers conferences with other
societies, and Society activities, as well as calender of
events, book/film reviews etc.). Sponsers and annual conference.

Information: Interested in Tolkiem, the other Inklings, and myth
and fantasy. Holds annual conferences (Mythcons), gives awards,
sponsors local discussion groups, and publishes 3 magazines.

Tolkien Special Interest Group

Contact: Nancy Martsch, PO Box 55372, Sherman Oaks, CA 91413,
USA.

Journal: "Beyond Bree".

Information: Mensa Special Interest Group. Subscriptions are
available without Membership in the High-IQ group. US $10/year
for US. $13 elsewhere (surface mail).

Elvish Linguistic Fellowship. 

Contact: Carl F. Hostetter, 2509 Ambling Circle, Crofton, MD
21114, USA. ([email-masked]).

Journal: Vinyar Tengwar (Bimonthly). Parma Eldalamberon
(Annual-ish)

Information: American society for Tolkien linguistics,
affiliated with the Mythopoeic Society.  Membership $12/year US,
$15 Canada, $18 Overseas (Payable to Carl F. Hostetter).

New England Tolkien Society

Contact: Gary Hunnewell, 2030 San Pedro Dr., Arnold, MO 63010,
USA.

Journal: "Ravenhill" (Irregular).

Information: Membership $5. Gary Hunnewell is also the American
agent for Arda, a bilingual Swedish Tolkien annual.. Sample
issue free on request.

* American Tolkien Society

Contact: American Tolkien Society, Box 373, Highland, MI
48357-0373, USA.

Journal: "Minas Tirith Evening Star".

Information: No further information available.

* National Tolkien League

Contact: Louis Epstein, RD 2, Carmel, NY 10512, USA.

Journal: "Ardalinde" (Formally "Frodo Fortnightly")

Information: No further information available.

* Restored Kingdoms of Gondor and Arnor

Contact: John Houghton, 711 1/2 Leland Ave. South Bend, IN
46616, USA.

Journal: "Chronicles of resotoration"

Information: No further information available

Miscellaneous USA Contacts

The following details may be of interest/use. If anybody
discovers anything specific about the information on offer at
these addresses, please let me know.

* Marion E.Wade Center, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL 60187

Tolkien Archives Fund, Marquette University, 1415 W. Wisconsin
Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53233, USA.

* NIEKAS, RFD #1, Box 63, Center Harbor, NH 03226-9729, USA.

* ELANOR, Catie Kerriush, 9206 Long Barrel Ln, Houston, TX 77040,

Former U.S.S.R.

* Nataliya Prochorova, 109 180 Moskva, UL. Bol'shaya Polyanka,
D. 28 KV 266, USSR.

* The Mithrandir's Staff, Gregory V. Grigorev, Ulitsa Pobed,
11-12, Apatity, 184200, USSR.

Further Information

The above list has been compiled from so many information
sources, it would be mad to list them all. However, individual
contributors have been of great help!

Corrections, contributions, comments, and requests should be
sent to: Richard Leyton, 3 Pelting Drove, Priddy, WELLS,
Somerset, BA5 3BA, UK. Internet: (To July 1994):
[email-masked]. After July: [email-masked]. Telephone
(UK until July) - 9am-5.30pm GMT: +44 71 487 8837. Fax (24hr)
+44 71 487 8843. Use whichever means is convenient. Note I can
always phone you back if necessary. (Office phone!)

If you would like, I can send this in any of the popular word
processor formats. E-Mail me for this. If you would like a nice
printed copy of this, I can also oblige. Again, E-Mail me.
However, this mail service is only for those who ask very, very
nicely (Like Joanna...), and who can't print at their end.
Postscript versions are archived at the ftp sites.

This list seems to be have been quite well received, and I would
like to make it more of a worthwhile item. As such, I would like
to give more details about the societies above, and those
currently not listed. If you belong to a society listed (or not
listed), please write to me giving details about the society -
What it does etc., or forward this request to someone who can
(The society secretary/publicity officer). Phone me/fax if you
have want!

I welcome any and all feedback about this list. The format, the
information, the ftp locations and so forth. Please feel free to
write. All correspondence will be read and replied to.

Contributors (To date - to which I extend many sincere thanks)

Magne Bergland: University of Bergen, 5020 Bergen, Norway.
Internet: [email-masked]

Zoltan Farkas: 14/A Aradi ut, Nagyatad, 7500 Hungary. Internet:
[email-masked]

Wayne Hammond: 30 Talcott Road, Williamstown, MA 01267, USA.
Internet: [email-masked]

Carl F. Hostetter: 2509 Ambling Circle, Crofton, MD 21114, USA.
Internet: [email-masked]

Marion Kippers. Internet: [email-masked]

William D.B.Loos: Internet: [email-masked]

John Piller: Internet: [email-masked]

Martin Titz: Internet: [email-masked]

Locations (Where this list is stored and updated)

Site: ftp.math.uni-hamburg.de

Dir: /pub/misc/tolkien 

File: tolkien.societies

Further Tolkien Information sources 

Further Tolkien information can be found at the following
sources (correct at release):

Netnews (Ongoing debate and discourse on your screen):
rec.art.books.tolkien; alt.fan.tolkien

Mailing lists (Ongoing debate and discourse direct to your
e-mail account):

"General" Tolkien: [email-masked] - Send mail with
one line "Help" for information on how to subscribe.

Tolkien's Languages: [email-masked]. Send mail with one
line "Help" for information on how to subscribe.

World Wide Web:
gopher://descartes.uwaterloo.ca:70/h0/mathSOC/.csc/.www/.relipper
t/homepage.ht

CompuServe: Steven M. Deyo, Compuserve: 70451,2545; 

GEnie: S.DEYO; 

AAIS or America On-line: Steve Deyo

-- 
+-------------------------------+------------------------------------+
|Richard Leyton,                |E-Mail (Chevron):                   | 
|Computer Services Department,  | Microsoft: [email-masked]        | 
|Chevron U.K. Limited,          | Unix: [email-masked]     |
|2 Portman Street,              |E-Mail (College) (July 1994 +):     |
|LONDON, W1A 0HN                | [email-masked]             |
|Tel. +44 71 487 8837           |                                    |
|Fax. +44 71 487 8843           |                                    |
+-------------------------------+------------------------------------+