Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT - Release of smail 3.1.29

From: Nigel Metheringham <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 1994 19:17:05 +0100

The Smail Development Team announce the release of version 3.1.29 of the 
smail MTA (Mail Transport Agent).

Introduction
============
Smail is an MTA, that is it routes and sends messages within and between 
different computers.  It is not an MUA (Mail User Agent) - you will need one 
of these to use smail.

Smail will run on a wide variety of Unix like systems.  It handles many forms 
of mail transport including internet type SMTP and UUCP, other transports and 
routing methods can easily be configured in if required.

Smail is command line compatible with the sendmail MTA, and can be used as a 
drop in replacement for sendmail.  However it is not internally compatible 
with sendmail.  In particular the configuration files are completely 
different although much simpler in form.

Changes from 3.1.28
===================
The 3.1.29 release is the first to be co-ordinated by the Smail Development 
Group, following the decision by Ronald S Karr (the primary developer of 
smail previous to this) to take a less active role.  The group includes 
Ronald Karr, so this is a change in emphasis rather than ownership!

Changes are detailed in the CHANGES file within the distribution.  However in 
brief:-
  + Several security holes fixed
  + Bug fixes to SMTP retry code
  + New bindlib (for DNS/MX routing)
  + RFC1413 identification (with external library)
  + some extra functionality including queue reprocessing speed ups
  + Linux support*

*Linux has been supported by previous versions of smail.  The reason people 
had so many problems with Linux is that the descriptions of Linux produced 
for smail by a number of people were incorrect.  There was also one bug in 
smail ((now fixed) that only shows on a Linux system.  This version is 
correctly configured for Linux, if you are using a binary distribution of 
smail on linux we implore you to upgrade so that we stop getting queries 
regarding smail on linux which are purely due to someone releasing a broken 
binary version to the net.

Release Files
=============
The release files are available from ftp.uu.net and its mirror sites, of 
which there are too many to list here.  Please use a local mirror to keep the 
bandwidth used down - and to increase your own speed of access.  On UUNET the 
files are in the directory
	/networking/mail/smail

There are 4 files in this release - you will not require them all.

smail-3.1.28-29.patch
        The patch file from 3.1.28 to 3.1.29
        Needs a clean 3.1.28 to patch to.
        This is big since all the version headers were changed

smail-3.1.29.tar.gz
        The source in tar/gzip format

smail-linuxbin-3.1.29.tar.gz
        A linux binary distribution.
        No sample configs are included.
        Compiled on Slackware 2.0.1, config files go in /etc/smail

smail-psdocs-3.1.29.tar.gz
        Smail 3.1 documentation in PS format for A4 paper.
 
Bugs
====

Please report any bugs to 
	[email-masked]

This will go to a bug tracking system which will send you a reply back.  
Please be patient for a full reply.

Late Breaking Stuff
===================
There is one small patch to the SGI IRIX 5.x configuration file, which I 
enclose here:-

*** 1.1	1994/10/18 08:30:04
--- irix5	1994/11/04 05:39:12
***************
*** 1,4 ****
! # $Id: irix5,v 1.1 1994/10/18 08:30:04 nm4 Exp $
  #
  # irix5 - describe characteristics of SGI IRIX version 5.X (5.2, actually)
  #
--- 1,4 ----
! # $Id: irix5,v 1.1.1.1 1994/11/04 05:37:44 lyndon Exp $
  #
  # irix5 - describe characteristics of SGI IRIX version 5.X (5.2, actually)
  #
***************
*** 11,17 ****
  # The following override the SVR4 settings - Irix has fixed some of the
  # braindamage.
  CC=cc
- OSLIBS=-lc_s
  INCLUDES=
  
  HAVE=$HAVE:RENAME:MKDIR:SYSEXITS:YP:FTRUNCATE:GETHOSTNAME
--- 11,16 ----

Plea
====
Please can you keep smail related communication with me to the smail3-bugs 
adress given above, or to the mailing lists which I do read and often reply 
to.  I cannot cope with a torrent of personally address smail3 mail and do my 
real job as well!

	Nigel.

--
- Nigel Metheringham  --  EMail: [email-masked] [email-masked] -
- System Administrator, Electronics Dept, University of York, York YO1 5DD -
- Tel: +44 1904 432374, Fax: +44 1904 432335 | PGP key available from WWW  -
- WWW: http://www.amp.york.ac.uk/~nm4/     |                               -