Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4014 Shen Tong Rescue Update

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1992 13:10:15 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Release No. 4014     September 4, 1992
              SHEN TONG RESCUE UPDATE
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

               Shen Tong Rescue Update
               =======================

     The following memo was sent to several U.S. Government
offices in Washington D.C. this morning.

----------------------------------------------------------------

     At 10:10 this morning, IFCSS officer Shi Heping called Shen
Tong's mother Li Yining at her residence in Beijing. She had not
heard from Shen Tong since the day of arrest. Yesterday, when she
demanded information on Shen's whereabouts, she was told that
Shen had been sent to an "assigned place."

     According to Shen Tong's mother, no warrant was shown when
Shen Tong was arrested, nor was any specific charge mentioned.
Yesterday, she submitted a letter protesting the unlawful arrest
of her son and demanding his immediate release.

     Shen Tong's mother said that there were rumors that Shen
Tong had already been released. She believed that such rumors
were designed to obstruct efforts to rescue Shen Tong. She
appealed for urgent help.

     Based on above information and on behalf of the Chinese
students in the United States, IFCSS urges your office to take
further actions to pressure the Chinese government to release
Shen Tong and his two associates.

     Thank you for your attention.

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************