Subject: IFCSS HQ NR-4017: Work Report, September 11, 1992

From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1992 13:33:28 -0400

**************************************************************
IFCSS Headquarters News Report No. 4017     September 11, 1992
           HQ WORK REPORT, SEPTEMBER 11, 1992
**************************************************************
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars (IFCSS)
   733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440, Washington, D.C.20005
         Tel. (202)347-0017  Fax: (202)347-0018
                Email: [email-masked]

           Work Report, September 11, 1992
           ===============================

     1. IFCSS INSURANCE TELEPHONE NUMBER CHANGED:

     From IFCSS Student Service Committee Chair Gao Hong:
To ask for information and brochures regarding the IFCSS
Insurance program, please use the new toll-free number:

     1-800-394-2500

     Still ask for Andrew Colbert.

     The statistics of commissions to local CSS organizations
from the Insurance program are in preparation. A detailed
report and the ways to distribute the fund will be posted
some time soon.

     2. RESPONSES TO THE CALL FOR HELP IN PROTECTION CAMPAIGN:

     After posting the call example of disadvantages without
the bill, the HQ has received more than one hundred responses.
We have identified the ideal case (a moving story). We have
also seen some systematic analysis.

     The HQ has sent relevant documents, including some cases,
our statements on the new student return regulations, statement
on Shen Tong's arrest, an Open Letter to Chinese Commission on
Education, human right documents, etc. to Senator Gordon's
office. Senator Gordon's office is thankful for our help, and
we are thankful for the support from the CSS communities.

     3. INS DENIAL OF ASYLUM:

     After the HQ called for evidences of Chinese government
punishing students/scholars who had pro-democracy activities,
we have received many reports and cases. These cases have
been sent to relevant offices and agencies in D.C. We are
continuing our efforts on this.

     4. SHEN TONG RESCUE:

     The HQ called Shen Tong's mother this morning. Shen Tong's
grand-mother answered the phone. She said that Shen's mother
visited many offices in Beijing but has not been able to
see Shen Tong, nor does she know where Shen Tong is.

     The HQ has drawn an Open-letter to the Chinese government
which has been published by Shi Jie Re Bao, (World Daily), the
English version will be released soon.

     We hope that local CSS organizations will all endorse the
open-letter.

     5. FUND-RAISING:

     IFCSS President Geng Xiao and Vice-President He Baoping
have returned from their visits to Taiwan. Their primary goal
was to raise funds to support the projects in this term. The
trips are successful and fund-raising efforts are fruitful.

     6. Mr. Liu Qing, a veteran pro-democracy activist, who
was arrested after the Democratic Wall in 1979 and was
prisoned for more than ten years, is visiting the IFCSS
this weekend. We will have seminars and will introduce him
to the pro-democracy/human rights groups in the greater
D.C. area.

     7. MID-AUTUMN FESTIVAL:

     Today is the traditional mid-autumn holiday. We send
our holiday greetings to the Chinese students and scholars
and their families across the country. The HQ officers
will join the festival activities organized by the CSS
at the University of Maryland at College Park.

     Happy Holiday!

***************************************************************
         IFCSS Headquarters Office    Signature
***************************************************************